Cant get HD to show up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord AnthraX

Fully Optimized
I have a 160 GB Seagate Barracuda That I wanted to add to my computer....

it happens to be IDE, so I hook it up and when I go into disk management I only see my raptor appearing along with my rw drive.

I Know its not dead becuase I can feel it vibrating and it feels alive...

the only thing I can think of is the cable..

I have th HD plugged into IDE 1 and rw drive in IDE 2...

Do I have to use the old cables that I used on the HD or can I use the spare ones I got from DFI...

Lord AnthraX said:
I have th HD plugged into IDE 1 and rw drive in IDE 2...
you mean IDE1 & 2 as ide channels or cable connectors? , when 2 devices are connected on the ide cable the jumpers must be set properly http://www.techist.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=96217#post739710
the ide cable connectors must be connected properly aswell mobo-->slave device-->master device / blue to the mobo & gray to the slave device & black to the master device , anyway it aint performance wise to connect an optical with an hd its best to have each on seperate ide channel

Lord AnthraX said:

I Know its not dead becuase I can feel it vibrating and it feels alive...

Do I have to use the old cables that I used on the HD or can I use the spare ones I got from DFI...
thats a good sign but doesnt nessiarly mean its truly alive , doesnt matter but its best to use an 80 wire ide cable cuz a 40 wire will limit its performance (you can tell by the connector colors, all black=40 , blue/gray/black=80)

where do I need to Move the Jumpers...also Id a visual learner..any pics..

Here is the situation:

I have ONE RW drive. So I Should set the rw drive to master or slave? it as slave right now dunno why.

and set the Barracuda to Master Or Slave?

also Do I use the 80 wire on the HD and 40 on the RW drive??

right click on My computer and select manage

then under storace select disk management

Is your harddrive listed there?
If yes, what does it say next to it.

There is a chance you just didn't prepare the drive. If it is in that list and it says unallocated.. just right click on it and format the drive.. It should show up then.

A blank drive with no partitions and formatting will not show up in windows.

by the way, your new harddrive should have come with a disk.. that disk will format the drive and get it prepared also.

Lord AnthraX said:
I have a 160 GB Seagate Barracuda That I wanted to add to my computer....

it happens to be IDE, so I hook it up and when I go into disk management I only see my raptor appearing along with my rw drive.

right click on My computer and select manage

then under storace select disk management

Is your harddrive listed there?

He already did. ;)

EDIT: By the way, you probally have to change some settings in BIOS to allow IDE and SATA to work togethor. It's probally in SATA/RAID mode, see if you can use "both".

Its ok to hook hdd's with cdrw's on the same cable as long as ultra dma mode is selected for the ide channel you are using. To know where to set the jumpers you need to look either on top of the drive or right over the jumpers on the back of the drive (its different on each type of hdd, so look for your's or go to their site) So set the hdd as master and the optical as slave and it should work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom