Need a system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pwnz0r

Baseband Member
basically, im getting an amd dual core 3800+, 2gb ram, 7600GT, and wa la a games machine, this all gonna b 4 under £550, prob bout $850 ish i think. so any1 sort me out with specs for the parts in the tower? e.g. case MOBO, which RAM, PSU, that sorta stuff. im not an expert but i can choose my peripherals myself. any help, experience be it good or bad, and advice is welcome,

MSN: phil_817@hotmail.co.uk
Xfire: iceryno
OR: reply here!!!!!

P.S. peripherals not included in £550 price tag as i say i need help with the heart of the machine.

well boards from DFI and MSI would probably serve you well. the DFI Lanparty Ultra-D is always a good place to start or you can get the higher models if they suit your tastes better. for psu i always reccomend Antec, the TruePower 2.0 series would be suitable. probably should get a bare minimum of 480w these days. most people here will probably reccomend you a 550w or higher

DFI motherboards are always top quality but you pay the price, usually worth it however.
OCZ Gold or CorsairXMS2 are the only memory out there that I'd feel safe with, but there are some other good manufacturers.
Don't just go for the highest PSU you can get at the cheapest price, I'd say get atleast a 500W if not a 600W so that you don't have to upgrade as your system gets more powerful - and definately don't go cheap on PSUs or you could just end up replacing it, or worse damage your motherboard.

I don't really necessairly agree with the 600W requirement. Not everyone is going to be using super-powerful state-of-the-art graphics cards and 6 hard drives at once. Go look at a wattage calculator. You can actually get a pretty decent system that uses less than 350 watts.
Just keep in mind not all PSU's have as high of a wattage they say they do. I'm willing to bet yours won't need any more than a 450W.

yea this advice is good but remember my budget guys, an antec psu or a DFI MOBO will set me back £100 each, i need

PSU: £30 dont have a clue [BLANK]
Case: £30 needs to look very cool + maybe a fan or 2 [BLANK]
CPU: AMD athlon 2x 3800+ £200 [deal done]
MOBO: £50 dont have a clue [BLANK]
G-Card: 7600GT £130 [deal done]
RAM: £130 i dont think ill be overclocking [BLANK]
HD: small £35 [deal done]

so thats my budget, ill be more specific in my askings next time, please can somebody fill in the blanks or give me recommendations.

WorldIndustries said:
I don't really necessairly agree with the 600W requirement. Not everyone is going to be using super-powerful state-of-the-art graphics cards and 6 hard drives at once. Go look at a wattage calculator. You can actually get a pretty decent system that uses less than 350 watts.
Just keep in mind not all PSU's have as high of a wattage they say they do. I'm willing to bet yours won't need any more than a 450W.

I never said there was a 600W requirement, I said at least go for a 500W to save you from cashing out in the future as graphic cards, CPUs and harddrives get more powerful and require more power.

Already some of the top CPUs take up to 100watts and GPUs around that figure, motherboards optical drives and harddrives around 25-30.
So if you're going for a motherboard like a DFI Lanparty which offers a lot of upgradability you want to be able to make use of it without replacing things such as the PSU.

I used to use the JS Wattage calculator but it is very out of date now (only offers up to 6800GT nvidias) and now I prefer to use this: http://images.pcworld.com/howto/graphics/119585-2304p144-1b.jpg

Basing my calculations on what I have (DFI Lan party) my wattage usage with an advised safety buffer of 30% is 573Watts. Yes, im running a very high spec PC with SLI graphics cards and two harddrives but if you're going to be using a DFI Lan party mobo; you might as well make use of it or else just go for something a bit smaller.

I was definately not saying a 600W is a requirement, nor is it probably needed but it will save you cashing out in the future and I always think it's best to keep up with modern advances rather than to keep changing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom