Floppy drive will not read, or format disks

Status
Not open for further replies.

JA01

Baseband Member
Okay, this just started happening not too long ago. Everytime I try to put in a floppy disk, my A: drive will sit there for a minute then a window will come up saying the disk needs to be formatted. I click okay, and after about another minute a window will appear saying windows cannot format the disk.

Can someone tell me what's wrong? It was working fine before, now it's not.

any help appreciated

Usually if the disk is write protected a message will appear saying it's so...So I'm assuming it's dead? How could a floppy drive that fast, when I have just connected it to my pc, and I haven't used it in about a year and a half now...oh well...

If the data cable was incorrectly plugged in, you'll notice it from the beginning when POST initiates. The floppy would go crazy, the LED would stay green and on.

Check the data cable and power cable. Replace the data cable for a known working one. Make sure you try multiple floppies before assuming the floppy drive is at fault.

If the floppy drive is defective just get a new one for $5.

Yeah, 9 chances out of 10 the FDD cable is upside down. You'll have to throw away any floppies you put in there while the cable was upside down. They're ruined.

Okay that's sounds like it makes alot more sense now. I'm assuming the FDD cable is the problem, but when I installed it, it looked like to me it was a "one way" cable install...Guess I was wrong? I'll try what you guys are suggesting, if it works thanks for the help! much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom