AGP Aperture

Status
Not open for further replies.

magouster

Daemon Poster
To what size should the AGP memory aperture in the BIOS be set to? I read someone saying something like half of the graphics card memory. And someone else said as little as possible! So which should it be?

I think as little as possible in your case...

Try both options and run 3dmark, that will be your answer.

In your case, a minimal setting would probably be best. The aperature size is how much of your regular RAM you dynamically use to help your vid card. Since you have a card with 512MB already, there's not much sense in tying up your RAM.

However, that RAM that you assign to the AGP slot is, as I said, dynamically used. That means that it is only used when it is needed, and remains part of normal RAM when it is not needed by the vid card.

Great stuff, thanks guys! I'll run 3DMark and see if it makes a difference, and I'll report back! :D

I ran 3DMark06, and I can report that the is no difference in performance between setting the AGP aperature size at 512MB or 32MB. It could be cause I have 512 MB video memory, and the system does not need to use system-memory I think! Thanks for your replies!

That's good to know for me as well, Thanks!! I do know that if you use onboard graphics this makes a huge difference up to the amount of video ram the IGP supports. And It will come directly off the amount of system ram available. (on alot of systems, not all)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom