Can I make Windows load faster?

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol it's just been reformated, it's not loaded with spyware/viruses yet..lol

I was just seeing if I could disable some useless XP things to make it load faster.

I'm going to do everything you said anyway. Thanks for taking the time to write all that.

I have a question though..
Delete the prefetch folder C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch, this folder will come back on next reboot.

Why would I benefit from deleting this if it just comes back after I reboot?

look inside it before you delete it..windows puts all that because its trying to think what program you are going to use next so it has entries of those programs that you frequently use so the next time you use the program, it loads faster, but sometimes this folder gets so big etc, its good to delete it

So if I delete it, nothing bad will happen right?

And how big is too big... it's only 3MB right now.

CrazeD said:
So if I delete it, nothing bad will happen right?

And how big is too big... it's only 3MB right now.

Yeah mine is only 2.68mb aswell, i was gunna empty until i saw how small it was, cant see any reason to delete that little bit?

oh just downloaded that bootvis programme, its not very user friendly is it? i didnt have a clue what to do but i hit something and the computer restarted on its own and then when it loaded back into windows i box popped up and said "please wait while the files are laid out" or something like that, then after that i restarted it manually and it seems abit faster to load up so i must have done it right? is there anything more i can do with that programme to make my start up time quicker?

With bootvis go to Trace - > Then I think it's the second option from the top, trace with something delay... I just reformatted again (*sigh*) so I don't have it in yet.

Then, it will restart and then when it comes back on, don't do anything until it's complete. When it is, go to Trace -> Optimize (or something, last option at the bottom I believe) and it will restart again. Again, don't do anything until it's complete.

Do this like once a month or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom