Newbie Needing Advice...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dans

Beta member
Hi there... Looks like a friendly place around here so I figured i'd try getting some advice...

I've been using a 2Ghz P4 with 512MB ram and crap video card for around four years now. I'm convinced that i've outgrown this thing and it's now causing me a fair bit of trouble. I'm looking to get a new high end computer in the next 3-8 months but have no idea where to start.

I'm looking for some advice on what to get and how to get it. I have very little computer building experience and wouldn't know where to start on what's compatible with what, moreover, I am very much out of the loop in terms of what things are like performance wise. I am considering purchasing rather than building, unless convinced otherwise.

I'd like to use the new computer for the following:
- Windows Media Center use
- Digital video recording (I already own a capture card, so that's not required)
- Heavy use of multiple applications (my current computer becomes very slow very fast and I need a computer that can keep up)
- Ability to last for long periods of time without rebooting (Due to the nature of my current computer use, I may have it on for a few days at a time without a reboot)
- Very good for gaming (not necessarily top of the range, but good enough to cope with all the "next-gen" games that are coming out and requiring all the better video cards)
- Photoshop/Video converting (my current computer, as you could imagine finds it very hard to work efficiently when it comes to the more demanding tasks)
- Something that I won't have to replace for a few years at least
- I suppose I use my computer for everything, so keep that in mind :)

I'm not completely sure about my budget at this stage, im still only trying to find out what kinds of hardware i'll need. By looking around, I suppose somewhere between "moderate" and "expensive", but more to the moderate side of course ;)

If someone could reccommend what I should aim for in terms of hardware, and give me some general advice about what i'll need, i'd be extremely grateful. Of course, if there's anything i've missed out in my descriptions, please ask me and i'll answer as best I can.

Thanks to everyone who replies, I hope this helps some other people as well. :)

specify more on your comp experience. can you build a computer?

(it is alot easier to build because you know exactly what your getting and its cheaper)

I have built a computer before, but it was with supervision from someone with a lot more knowledge. I would need some steps to get it right. As long as I knew that the parts were compatible, I suppose I could get it built. As for a place to get the parts, well, im in Australia, i'd have to look around. If I don't feel I can get the parts, i'll try to get as close to the specs as I can and buy a computer.

I'd very much advise you to build your own. It's very simple. You can find tonnes of good information around on the web about the specifics of installing each part, and what general precautions you should take etc.

By building your own you will save money, you'll end up with a better computer, and on top of that you will learn a lot about hardware and computers in general. Building your first computer is a great experience.

Thanks for the link Rocky... And you make a good point julz :)

Do you have any links to very in-depth tutorials, guides and so on that will help me on my way? There's a lot of information out there, but most of the bits I have found are confusing and don't seem to be aimed at my skill level.

ask questions, if you have any questions feel free to post or PM me. i'd be glad to help you, seeing as how i was also a n00b a few months back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom