20/24 pin mobo

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowpunk

In Runtime
I've got a MSI K8N Neo4-F mobo with a 24-pin connector. My Ultra X-connet has a 20-pin connector. Right now I'm running a 20-pin connector from the PSU to the lower 20 pins on my mobo, leaving the top 4 pins empty. The 20 to 24-pin power cables take up all 24 pins on the mobo. Can anyone explain this to me? What is the difference between a 20-pin and a 24-pin power connector? What is the advantage in getting a 20 to 24-pin power cable and filling up those empty 4 slots? Are there any negative effects to continue using the 20-pin power cable and leaving the top 4 slots open? Is there any effect on system stability while overclocking with the 20-pin cable or the 20 to 24-pin converter?

It's just the extra power for the power-hog-of-a-machine.

You can get a 20 - 24 pin adaptor at a computer store. They're usually 15 - 20$.

CrazeD said:
It's just the extra power for the power-hog-of-a-machine.

You can get a 20 - 24 pin adaptor at a computer store. They're usually 15 - 20$.

I was going to do that anyway, but does it actually provide more power seeing as how the PSU doesn't change and the fact that the power is still only coming out of 20 pins at the source remains the same.

More specifically, does adding the 20 to 24-pin cable distribute the power differently or more efficently or something?

the extra four pin provides extra power to the system but on the 12v rail. where it mainly goes to the pci video card provides up to 75 watt of power.

You don't need those extra pins. My computer runs fine with the 20 pin male plugged into the 24 pin female. I have an adapter but I don't use it because there is no point.

wxt38 said:
the extra four pin provides extra power to the system but on the 12v rail. where it mainly goes to the pci video card provides up to 75 watt of power.

vs.

RockyZ said:
You don't need those extra pins. My computer runs fine with the 20 pin male plugged into the 24 pin female. I have an adapter but I don't use it because there is no point.

Not to start an argument, but these are two totally different responses. I don't doubt that your (Rocky) computer runs fine without it, so does mine actually. But 75 Watts could essentially make or break your setup if you have a very demanding system (like running SLI with a 450W PSU).

I heard somewhere that you can't overclock without those 4 pins, but I'm not sure about that.

i had my opty overclocked only 20 pins.. but now i have 24.. so maybe that means i should try again.. try to get 3.0 now that i added a new case fan... sounds like a plan to me :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom