Freezing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braska

Solid State Member
I'll try to put in as many details as possible to filter out most common problems.

Sometimes my computer will go into a sort of standby mode and the only way to solve it is to reset. It can sometimes happen whilst doing simple windows task but it is guaranteed to happen during a game after a few minutes.

However, if I put my computer into safe mode, this will not happen.

A few problems I've filtered out are:

Memory: I did a 16 hour memtest with no errors
Gfx Card: I've replaced the gfx card
Driver issues: I've reinstalled Windows multiple times.
Hard-Drive: I did some hard drive test thing, but I'm not sure how accurate it was.

What else could it be? and is there a way I could check without having to potentially waste my money on new parts which may not fix the issue?

Thanks for your time :)

There is only two things you didn't check psu and/or motherboard, I would try a new psu first. But it sounds like more of a hdd problem to me. Is the hdd noisey?

Well it could be a problem with your power supply forcing your motherboard to go into a sort of stand by mode to avoid any permanent damage.

Or it may not be a PSU problem and it might just be a problem with your motherboard, again trying to avoid permanent damage.
It could also be your CPU forcing the crash seeing as it freezes at times of high load (playing games).

I suggest you use monitoring software to monitor all temperatures, voltages and fan speeds while running idle and when playing a game and look for any major changes.
These software aren't usually hugely accurate but if there is any major fluctuation causing the crash due to your PSU then it will show up and is worth a look at.

I downloaded SpeedFan and here are some of the results:

Fan1: 0 RPM
Fan2: 3850 RPM

Temp1: 34C
Temp2: 72C
HD0: 40C

VCORE: 1.65V

That temp2 looks very high but I only have 1 fan and that's on my CPU so why is it showing 2? Also, is that 72C a cause for concern?

fan 1 is chassis (notice 0 fan speed) and temp 1 is case, fan 2 is cpu and temp 2 is cpu temp. IF it is reading properly your cpu is overheating. Have you cleaned your hsf lately?

Well I just cleaned it and the temperatures are still the same. Looks like I have a dodgy heatsink :(

not entirly true about the temp1/temp2 , its not same on each mobo so its not a sure thing that 2 is the cpu+its possible it doesnt read the sensor right

download sandra click here , get into hardware-->mainboard scroll down til youll see temperature/voltage sensors and take a screenshot , what cpu do you have? include the core/code name , if you dont know then just download cpu-z click here and take a screenshot

check the mobo for bad capacitors , and better use a flashlight as its kinda dark in there , see examples
http://home.earthlink.net/~doniteli/index27.htm
http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=195

common sence would tell you that temp1 and fan1 would be for the same thing. Since he has no case fan that would mean temp2 and fan2 are also for the same thing! Think about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom