IDE and EIDE

Status
Not open for further replies.
what do u mean by that. Each ide channel holds room for 1 master and 1 slave. Its a difern't cable than a ide machine but ide has been out of date for a while and is no longer rececnised in the it world. So eide has taken its place and is known as ide. Is that what u were asking
?

hmm interesting but mobos today only have ide channels that consist of 2 connectors regardless of the connection so that wont due much until new generation of mobos is out

thanks dude
now it makes sense.

the original IDE, before 1994 was limited to one adaptor slot, which meant one primary master and one primary slave.

hey dude, i got four of those (E)IDE plugs on my MOBO now

just so you understand you can put a slow cd-rom (ata33) on a 80pin IDE cable. 80 pin cables are actually ata66/ata100/ata133 capable even though they call it ata66/100.

80pin IDE cables have twice the number of pins as 40pin IDE cables because having smaller wires reduces electromagnetic interference from nearby wires. thats the only reason there is a 80pin cable, to ensure less data corrution which means faster data tranfer potential.

with network cables its the same thing. the diff between cat5 and cat6 is that cat6 has better shielding from electromagnetic interference = faster potential throughput

i have got 80 wire and 40 wire cables with 39 hole and 40 hole connectors. the 39 pin connecor has the following configuration.

II
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXOXXXXXXXXXX

the O marks the place where they don't have the hole connector.
The II is the plastic thing on top of the wire socket which ensures the cable goes the right way in.

can you confirm my 39 hole cable is the ATA 66/100/133 and the 40 pin cable in the ATA 33. I have taken some snaps, can not find my USB cable, will post it when i find it.

is there also a way to find out what is transfer speed of the device from windows XP, i.e. is it ATA100 or ATA33.

also at what speed the device is operating because of what cable it has?

i think maybe you are making this more complicated than it should be. there are 2 types of IDE cables. one has fewer fatter wires and the other has twice as much with thinner wires. both are the same width with the same looking connectors with 40 "holes".

you could be right about the missing hole (39 holes). the thinner one is ATA133 maximum. only way to find out is use a hard disk speed testing software. sisoft sandra might be able to test it, but there are much better ones out there, do a search.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom