Why do i get artifacts when overclocking my 7800gt AT ALL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stainer711

In Runtime
Making 7800gt overclock more stable.. How to install gpu heatsink?

When i overclock my Jaton Geforce 7800gt graphics card even a little bit (30 mhz/ .5 ghz) I get artifacting on counterstrike: Source. (default is 400 mhz/ 1.0 ghz). The artifacts always look the same and are as follows: They look like rainbow colored spikes that appear usually near the middle of the screen and extend outwards. They are also pretty long and about a sixth of an inch thick. I have seen no other type of artifacting while overclocking. The artifacts look the same for when either the core or the memory is overclocked while the other isn't. I am extremely interested in overclocking the card, but it doesn't seem to be working out. When i set the option for automatically detecting optimal overclocking frequencies they're set 50 mhz/.1 ghz higher than normal (450/1.10) and yet i get artifacting anyway. I have heard that installing after market coolers can help to solve overclocking problems, but is there anything else i can do to improve the stability of an overclock? Also, i don't know where to buy these coolers for the graphics card specifically or even how to install them. are these similar to cpu heatsinks? Is it hard or difficult to do? Any help would be appreciated.

Note: when overclocking my gpu's supposed temperature is only about 60 degrees so WTF am i getting artifacts for? These temps are supposedly pretty **** low. Maybe i should try overclocking much higher or something? My artifacts, as explained above, aren't even of normal characteristics. This is making Begalsworth angry.

I've heard of some cards that artifact at certain speeds, and when you push it just slightly higher, the artifacts dissapear. Try pushing it just a little further, but keep an eye on your temps!

Well, the card won't test on anything higher than 450 on the clock. I can test pretty much anything on the memory, however. I also don't get any artifacting when the memory is up, but as soon as the clock gets overclocked at all i get artifacts. Does this mean that i have a defective unit or do some cards just not overclock well?

The chips used by Jaton might be slightly below par (since I've never heard of Jaton before, to be honest), and it could mean that it might just not be a good overclocker. But overclock the memory some more, and see if it makes a difference! By the way, what does your temps look like under load?

56 degrees under load? :|

I don't think you really need an aftermarket cooler lol.

I tried all of that above with no success. Is overclocking a graphics card solely dependent on the card or does it have something to do with the motherboard or other hardware?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom