Please Help: MOBO+CPU Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

rosnettn

Beta member
MOBO+CPU Gaming Upgrade!

EDIT: I apologize, most of you are probably rolling your eyes at this post! I realize, after reading other posts, that you get a million of these questions. I really appreciate the help though, I'm learning a lot already (such as the mysterious AMD reading). Thank you.

I've been out of the "techosphere" for about 2 years, and I am ready to upgrade my ancient 1.6ghz processor (and motherboard). I was wondering if I could get a suggestion, I'd like to get a nice video card eventually ( pci x16?) but for now I am hoping to get a nice, fast AMD with a good motherboard for no more than $300. Hopefully somewhere in the high 2ghz range. Well, any help is VERY appreciated! Also, I don't know how to install a processor, but I'm sure if I am to get what I want for the price, I'll have to do it (or have it done). No biggie.

I guess I should mention that I am an avid gamer and want something that can last for a while in that respect. Thanks again!

what type of ram you currently have? and if its ddr whats its rating? pc3200 for example , you might need to get that too

what about graphic card , you want the mobo to have it onboard til youll get something better or use your current? and if so what is your current? , your sure you want only new mobo+cpu? you can get a pretty good graphic card too with that budget

what psu you have? brand/model
your case is atx or micro atx?

Hey, thanks for the reply.

I have (x2) 512mb DDR 3200 (only get 992mb because they are different manufacturers), I have a Radeon 9250 (256mb) PCI, not sure about the power supply, believe it's 250W (can change that later) and have an atx mid-tower (gonna get a new one too).

I bought my stupid card RIGHT before 2.0 shading became standard, and I don't want to make the mistake again, but I'll worry about that after I get the mobo/cpu (as well as everything else).

Thanks again!

EDIT: I REALLY think I wanna go with this CPU:

AMD Athlon 64 3700+ 2000MHz HT Socket 939 Processor
* 2.2GHz
* 90 nm San Diego
* 1MB L2 Cache

It is retailing for $235 on newegg.com. Does this seem good? If so, I can then worry about what motherboard I'll need, heh.

It recommends this:

BIOSTAR TForce4SLI Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard

Is there anything better? It's only $90 (about my price range).

Things are making a LOT more sense now :).

monarchcomputer.com has some good deals on motherboard/cpu combos, and they come pre-tested and assembled, you can also choose to have them add thermal grease for a small charge. If you aren't comfortable installing a CPU then I suggest doing that.

Actually, I looked at that site, and you only get four choices for AMD processors. I really want the one I mentioned. Thanks, though.

newegg reviews are mostly bogus.

I go for reviews on actual forums, and from what I've learned...the MSI neo4-f mobo is awesome...also a good overclocker

Oh and also I don't know where you found only 4 choices for AMD processors. You can get any CPU you want.

here

The MSI mobo and 3700+ CPU is about 312+shipping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom