Memory Upgrade question

Status
Not open for further replies.

TMoney

Beta member
Hi

I currently have 1gb(2x512) of memory. It is DDR 333 pc2700. I am getting another gb(2x512) that is ddr 400 pc3200. I plan on putting the new memory in the first 2 slots as a matching pair.

My question is if I want to get maximum performance, should I install the older memory in the next 2 slots or will that force my motherboard to drop to the ddr333 pc2700 speeds? If it will affect my performance, I'll just leave the old memory out.

Thanks!

depends on how good the two are.. like u could be bottlenecking if u keep teh DDR 333.. find out run 3dmark or something and see..

If you want the best performace sell your two sticks of pc2700 and only go with the 2 pc3200's Running four sticks of ram slows your system down. If its not two late get two sticks of 1gb ddr400 pc 3200 that would be much better.

If you have slower ram and faster ram, the faster ram will ALWAYS underclock to the slower ram. The DDR400 will work as if they were DDR333, so you will essentially have 2GB of DDR333. I wouldn't worry about it too much. There isn't a whole lot of difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom