Powersupply question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackheart

Solid State Member
Well I'm going to most likely build a computer over the summer and I want this to be very, very cool. Maybe take a 2.4ghz X2 and overclock it to 3ghz maybe 3.2ghz and hopefully I can do this. I'm going to get a case with a 250mm fan on the side, 120mm in the front and then I'm going to do an assortment of fans and stuff throught out the system, and I might put a hole in the top of the case since I hear it helps with cooling.

Anyway, on with my question. What connectors on the powersupply would I plug the fans into? Are they 4pin molex's or what? Because the PSU I'm looking at has 600w of power and 8x4pin molexs anyway, any help is greatly appreciated, and you can probably expect to see some specs for my new pc when I find out my budget on it. (If it's 2000-3000 expect to see some very nice specs)

On my antec psu there is a dedicated 4pin molex for the the main case fan, the other fan case fan i plug into the Mobo. However on my friends pc both fans plugged straight into the mobo. The nforce 4 seems to have a fair amount of 3 pin fan connectors. Any fans i've bought have had a 4 pin molex and a 3 pin connector.

Dunno if that helps at all.

yes i bought powersupply and i had to buy more fans and i used the 4 pin molexs on the ps. i think they give u the option to choose between 4 pin molex and a 3 pin.

Slightly off-topic, but i doubt you'll get that CPU up to 3.0 or 3.2 on air-cooling! No matter how many fans you have! Sorry if I burst your bubble! :D

the fans i have with molex are spliced, i dunno if thats the right word, but whichever Molex it takes up it has another one free on the other side.

I dunno, it'll have a 250mm fan on the side and a 120mm in the front, plus I'm working on finding a heatsinc and then some pci fans, and hopefully this will work, but none the less, it should still keep the cpu at a decent temperature.

Maybe at 2.8GHz, but I've yet to see someone beat the 2.8 or 2.9 barrier on air-cooling. Remember, even with great fans and HSF, its impossible to cool a CPU more than the ambient temp in the room you're in. And even then, with the voltage increases needed to keep a CPU stable at that speed, you would be hard pressed to keep it less than 30C warmer than room-temp on air. Air moved by a fan can only do so much! If you were planning to realy go for 3.0 or 3.2, it'd be a good idea to go for watercooling! Just my .02, what do the others think?

I may go with water cooling but really I don't know if I'll over clock it much if at all. I mean 2.2-2.4ghz amd dual core I'm just guessing is fast. I don't know how you compare dual core to single core (guessing that's the name) but 2.2-2.4 should be more than enough to let me play WoW, listen to some music, and copy cds at the same time, seeing as how my 750mhz single core (once again not sure what to call it) can run music and diablo 2 at the same time just fine. But anyway, I just wanted to say I love these forums I've had a lot of help and I think I'm going to get my specs up soon and then I have to start working on learning C.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom