Tell me what you think

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwn9801

Baseband Member
Want to buy a gaming computer. Been looking at this and would like yall opinions.

$1582.00

CASE: CoolerMaster Praetorian 730 RC-730 Aluminum Tower 420W Case

CPU: (939-pin) AMD Athlon™64 X2 3800+ Dual-Core CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology

MOTHERBOARD: (Sckt939)Asus A8R-MVP Radeon Xpress200 CrossFire Chipset DDR400 Dual PCIE SATA RAID MB w/GbLAN, USB2.0, 2xIEEE1394, &5.1Audio

MEMORY: 2048 MB (1GBx2) PC3200 400MHz Dual Channel DDR MEMORY

VIDEO CARD: ATI Radeon X1600 Pro 16X PCI-E 256MB VIDEO CARD

VIDEO CARD 2: ATI Radeon X1600 Pro 16X PCI-E 256MB VIDEO CARD

HARD DRIVE: 250GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 8M Cache 7200RPM Hard Drive

Optical Drive: LG GWA-4161 16X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE DUAL LAYER

Optical Drive 2: 16X DVD ROM

SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO

Found this at cyberpowerpc.com

1- I wouldn't crossfire video cards, as it only gives 25%-50% performance increase from the second card.

2-The x1600 I would describe as a mid-ranged card, I would rather switch to 1 high-end card than 2 of those.

3-CPU is nice, although I would go up to the 4400+ if you have the extra cash

Everything else is nice. Have you ever thought about building your own PC? You can get much better value for money, and get exactly what you want :)

In conclusion:

- ditch those 2 cards, and get a 7900GT which is an awesome card.

-Up the CPU to a 4400+

-Obviously then you'll need a new mobo, the Asus A8N deluxe is nice.

Well i'm with trooper on the ditch the two cards (If i'm correct 2 X1600 Pros are about $100 each so taht leaves u with $200), get a X1800GTO, their from $170 to like $270 (the HIS with IceQ3 tech is only $220 with a nice cooler on it and its already OCed alittle). U can also unlock the GTO to get 16 pixelpipelines like a X1800XT.

get 7600GT if you're aiming for a mid-range card
get 7900GT if you're aiming for a high-range card

by all means dont get crossfire unless youre a super rich person
but even then you shouldnt get X1600s you should be getting X1900s

I would really recommend building it yourself, it should cost a few hundred bucks less. Go with the 7900 GT, which is a better deal. For the mobo, get a DFI board. Don't use PSU's that come with cases, as most of them are not reliable. Really, do yourself a favor and build it yourself, its not difficult, even me at 14 years old can do it. Good luck!

slick_tech15 said:
I would really recommend building it yourself, it should cost a few hundred bucks less. Go with the 7900 GT, which is a better deal. For the mobo, get a DFI board. Don't use PSU's that come with cases, as most of them are not reliable. Really, do yourself a favor and build it yourself, its not difficult, even me at 14 years old can do it. Good luck!

completely agree, i would find a friend or someone who knows a tiny bit about comptuers and figure it out youselves, the ONLY nerve racking part about putting a computer together is dealing with the cpu, but even applyng as5 (thermal compound) isnt very difficult, all computers are pretty idiot proof as far as hardware concern, you can only plug certain things into certain places. as far as software, install windows and go from there, its really simple i just put the second computer in my sig together the other day and i didnt run into any problems, and that computer was a frakenstein, parts pulled from everywhere

All in all everyone (including myself) agrees.. build it yourself... But do yourself a favor. (unlike me the first time) Read the parts about the system bios, if you have never done any building before... do a little research first about the board you want. Depending on the board and how good the instructions are you might run into an issue or two...

But other than that the fun part is learning about your system and knowing that after your done... YOU did it... No some over inflated company, with under paid workers, making sub-standard computers, and selling them at well above average prices.

thanks. I think I'll try and build it myself. Been reading different post and figured any problems I run into someone will have an answer.

Someone here will answer just about any question you have... No worries... They put up with my questions so I KNOW they will put up with yours. :p welcome... and feel free to ask away... always willing to help someone who wants to help themselves... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom