default software

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigdan

Daemon Poster
i recently tried to burn a cd on a newly formatted computer. i dont quite remember all the steps but in the process i think i installed nero, the cd that came with my burner. now the player that came with nero has taken over my computer for all multimedia files and i dont like it at all. id much rather stick with windows media player etc. how do i change all the icons back to what they were? a number of times i rightclicked on a file and selected always choose this program to open this file and then chose media player, but there are still lots displaying the nero icon. any ideas?

thanks
dan

go to Windows Media Player. Click Tools -> Options. Click on "File Types" and "Select all". Click OK and close the player.

thanks man. what if i want to chose some other player like VLC or winamp. is there some way to do it as a windows setting, as opposed to an individual program's?

You can remove Nero. Then reinstall it and pick a custom installation most likely and dont associate it with your files.

if you want to change the default player, viewer, right click on the file, click open with, choose the player/viewer, then put a check mark in the box to always use this program to view/play these file types

yup thats what i did. changed some of the video files, but not all. i did this a number of times, i dunno how many diff media files there are out there. can i choose a default for ALL video files or do i need to choose each time for say mpg, avi, mov etc.

btw i uninstalled nero. some of them are still showing up as nero icons tho. i dont know what happens when i click on them, ill do that when i get home.

thanks guys!
dan

open window explorer, go to tool, folder options, file types

now delete the file association (mp3. mpg etc.). this will take take away all of the unneccesary icons like nero

now hit new. type the name of the file association that you had just deleted, then choose what progam that you want to open it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom