Why does my P4 2.4 Ghz only show as 1.8 Ghz???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dean66

In Runtime
Recently my old power supply that came with my case burned out and I replaced it with an Enlight 420W. Seems to run great. While I had the case open I decided it would be a good idea to try and tweak my system some more. Anyway I decided to try and find out why my CPU only shows up as a 1.8Ghz instead of the 2.4Ghz that I know that it is. From what I can tell, I need to change the two jumpers on my MOBO to 133M from 100M. That should get me the 533 FSB speed that the board is capable of reaching. I went ahead and changed the jumpers to the 133 position, but now my system won't boot up at all. When I turn it on, it simply powers on and just sits there. Nothing comes on the monitor or anything else for that matter. I've looked in the BIOS, but there just doesn't seem to be any settings that I can adjust for this? Could it be my RAM? I believe my PC2100 is 266 Mhz. My manual says it supports up to 333 Mhz. I'm not trying to overclock, I simply want to get the speed from my CPU that I should be getting.

My system specs are as follows:

P4 2.4Ghz CPU 533 FSB
ECS P4VXASD2+ motherboard
AMI BIOS
2 x 512 PC2100 RAM
Maxtor 120 GB HD
16x DVD ROM
BTC CDRW
128 MB Nvidia video card

Deadguy,

How do you know that the 333 is compatible with the 533 FSB? Is there some type of multiplier you're using? I'm fairly new to this tweaking and I'm trying to learn more everyday.

I'm new at this and maybe this is just a dumb reply but: are you sure that your MOBO fully supports 2.4 GHZ, especially given your potential memory limitations? Make sure that you have the latest BIOS updates for you MOBO, as they can sometimes contain fixes for such problems. Also, if possible, borrow a 333 Mhz ram card from a buddy and (removing all other memory) try and boot up with that. If it works, just buy the faster memory.

jorsoft03,

I bought the MOBO/CPU as a combo on sale at Fry's last year, so I'm almost positive that it supports it. I will definitely give the faster memory a try.

Well, now I'm more confused. I went and bought a new stick of PC2700 DDR 512MB Kingston RAM and swapped it with my old PC2100 to see if I could get the FSB speed up to 533. I changed the MOBO jumper back to 133MHz and my system again doesn't boot? It won't even post.

By the way, I have verified from the MOBO documentation that the ECS MOBO does support 533 FSB.

Any suggestions?

Looking at your MOBO specs it shows it will only take up to 266 MHz frontside bus speed RAM. If your installing 333 MHz frontside bus speed RAM then you computer probablty won't boot due to that.

Jim

You might need a BIOS update in order for your MOBO to recognize your CPU as being 2.4 MHz instead of 1.8 MHz. Hopefully that will do the trick.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom