Big Problem, need help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lasrix

In Runtime
I have built a new computer for myself and am having some crashing problems. First off let me start out by stateing the specs of my new machine:

DFI Lanparty SLI-D
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+
XFX GeForce 7800GT
1Gb OCZ 2.5-3-3-5
200GB WD Sata HD
485W Enermax

So there is pretty much 2 different types of crashes that occur from time to time.

Starting with the first one. I can make this crash happen anytime i want to. All i have to do is place my XFX Video Card CD in the CD Rom drive and once it speeds up, it crashes. The error it gives me is:
IMG_2520.jpg

(I turned off the external Cache as suggested and it still crashes)

Before i tell you what i have done to try and solve this i'll just quickly tell you about the second crash. The second crash seems to occur randomly but it APPEARS not to happen until after 24 Hours or more have passed. The error, or blue screen of death, appears so fast that i don't get a chance to read it. So i can't tell you what the error is.

My first theory was that the power supply was lacking and everytime the CD-ROM would boot up it would crash, due to LEDS, Periferals etc. so i unplugged everything except the essentials. CD-ROM, MOBO Power, Vid Card Power, HD power. Entered the XFX CD, Crashed. But then i thought, it may be the Drive so i popped in a spare i had and it did the same. Then i realized that it only did it for this XFX driver CD and once for another CD. Other than that the drive reads and writes fine...

Second theory was the RAM was Faulty and wassn't dumping properly (causing the second crash to occur). So i ran a mem test and a 3DMark test and it all came out fine. I then replaced my OCZ RAM with some Kingston RAM that i know is fine. I then proceeded to put the XFX Driver CD in the drive (since this is the only test i can run to see if its the RAM causing this crash atm), crashed. I would keep the Kingston RAM in to see if it get effected after 24 hours but my thoughts of the RAM being the problem have sorta died at this point.

So the conclude my thoughts on the matter, from what i've seen, Can't be the power supply, doesn't appear to be the RAM and the CD-ROM checks out.

All help would be appreciated, this is driveing my absolutly insane...

Cheers-

P.S. My Temps seem to be running cooly

Looks like a hardware problem, I would not rule out the PSU do you have the capacity to swap it out for another?

Otherwise it might be some chip on the mobo is faulty or perhaps the CPU.
Run something like prime 95 and see if you get any errors.

I take you're not overclocking?

The PSU is most likely the first thing i'm gonna replace. I'm gonna pick up a 600W and toss it in there.

I'm not overclocking anything... yet :p

Now that you mention it, the Southbridge... Northbridge, Whichever one it is located next to my Video card, is getting extremely hot. Not sure if the actual chip is getting hot but the metal on the fan thats cooling it is. It is also being touched by my Video card, that may be transfereing heat to it as well.

Cheers-

I've been running this Prime 95 test for 2 days now and i'm still unsure what its testing and how, can anyone explain?

Also, i was looking over my computer specs and noticed that under CPU it says "AMD Hammer Family processor - Model Unknown" , that seems kinda odd to me. Has anyone else noticed this under their CPU name?

Cheers-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom