Graphic Card Turns Off?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got my PSU today and installed it, it's a lot easier than I thought. I got the PSU you recommened Jeremy, the Antec Truepowr 2.0 430W. I checked the +12V and it's now running in the high 11's (i.e 11.885) but the Antec manual did say that most monitors are slightly inacurate. But from what it was before it's a real change, I ran a history of the previous PSU and the lowest it went down to on the +12V was 11.333 and that was when I was playing Oblivion and it was turning off. So hopefully now everything should work. Just one question is the voltage it's running at now what it should be at?

didn't work. It just turned off again. So now I'm completly stuck as what to do now. I'm about e-mail Scan (the people I bought it off) and EVGA, the last time I e-mailed them they asked for the motherboard make and what chipset it's using. I'm starting to get really p***ed off now. Not with you, you've been the only help throughout all this. Any more ideas?

I've just been scouring the net and found that alot of people are having problems with the GS. The overall problem seems to be a "cold bug" where the card slows down due to the temps not being high enough. The only problem is the answer lies in disabling the cards temp monitor in the cards bios and this voids the warranty, so really I'm no further along. Thanks again Jeremy for the response I shall check it out in a minute. Your the only person thats come up with any sensible ideas so far and that's including me e-mailing EVGA tech support. Scan (the ppl I bought it from) haven't even e-amiled me back yet, bloody typical. I sent another e-mail to Scan because I want to see what to do and see whether to RMA it. I'll post my findings later.

EDIT:Later on. lol
Right I've just checked the capictors but nothing looks like it's leaking. I also disabled my case fan to increase temps a bit and they did increase but still the same. The last time it did it I took off the side to see what was going on and the GPU is on! the fan is spinning and everything else in the PC is fine. All the fans are working all the lights are on the GPU is running from what I can tell, like I said before the fan is definetly spinning so that means there is power to the card. I thought the actual card had turned itself off but fom what I can see it's still on?!? It seems as though the video signal from the card to the monitor just stops for some reason. The only thing I can think of now is there is some sort of compatibilty issue but would that interfere with the signal from the card to the monitor? Anybody got any ideas?

Yes I used a flashlight, and I DL Nvidia driver 84.66 from 3dguru and nothing changed. I just got an e-mail form EVGA and they said that the card is most likely defective and to return it to them. But I don't want to send it to them because I've heard that it can take weeks to get the new card. Do the ppl I bought from have a responsibilty to replace it? If so I'd rather send to them as it would be quicker and I'm on first name basis now with them. The last thing I'm going to try is formatting my HD and start a fresh. Atleast then I'll know whether it's software or hardware. I don't want to do it but I did hear that when you upgrade some of the previous cards registry files are still there. If I format atleast Windows will only know the 7800 card. Man, I hate formatting.

"Subject to, life time manufacturer's warranty.
1-year return to scan" , i highly doubt its a software issue , and i wouldnt reformat theres really no need to , i think what you heard is incorrect

jeremy said:
and what about caps with bulged top?
you didnt saw any?

I formatted to but to no avail, so the card is going back to Scan as soon as possible. So thanks to everybody who posted, especially Jeremy. I keep my fingers crossed that the next card is OK. lol

EDIT (13th May) I managed to get an AGP card for the weekend while my mates away to test the AGP slot. It works fine and I've been playing Sin Episodes Emergence now for a couple of hours. So it is definetly a faulty card. Scan aren't open till Monday so it's gonna be week atleast till I get a replacement card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom