PC not shutting off or restarting

Status
Not open for further replies.

sammytheman

In Runtime
Hey fellas recently I have this problem where when I click Restart or Shut Down, it goes to "Windows in now shutting down" screen and nothing happens. So i have to power it off by pressing the button on the system. Any help would be greatly appreciated. By the way I have XP.

I used to have that problem years ago... it was because of my BT Voyager ADSL Modem.. if you don't have a modem like that, it might be that some peripheral of yours is interfering with the power on your PC. just my $0.02.

Something isn't terminating properly and causing the shut down procees to stall.
Try disconnecting peripherals and manually shuting down all programs before you shut down.

Alternatively your acpi settings are not allowing the pc to power itself off.. check your cmos settings and windows power settings.

MrCoffee said:
Something isn't terminating properly and causing the shut down procees to stall.
Try disconnecting peripherals and manually shuting down all programs before you shut down.

Alternatively your acpi settings are not allowing the pc to power itself off.. check your cmos settings and windows power settings.

Do you mean disconnect everyhting, even the mouse and keyboard?

Well when I shut it down there are no programs running by looking at the taskbar.

How do I check CMOS settings and what do I fix there?

take a look in your event log (event viewer) see if any programs are terminating abnormally, also before you shutdown check the task manager to see if there are additional tasks/processes you can kill off.

Do you run anti virus and firewall?

If you haven't been into CMOs then don't worry, The settings shouldn't have changed by themselves.

Disconnect any active peripherals like printer, flash drive, modem, scanner..

Keep your mouse and keyboard plugged in and remove any other devices, especially USB, that is probably where the problem lies.

Just because no programs are showing up in your taskbar doesn't mean there isn't any processes running still at shutdown.
Ctrl alt del and see if there is any suspicious programs running, if you think they look weird google them and you'll find something about them no matter what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom