Building my new PC - it won't boot!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used cpu-z (while in windows) and both ram modules have identical speed and other specs.

Dude, this sounds like a damaged mobo to me, all these errors occuring on a new computer is not logical what-so-ever... all of you'r errors remind me of problems I saw in computers with damaged mobo's.

Could it be the power supply? I currently have a 400watt PSU, since my 430watt PSU was dead out of the box. Does dual channel mode require more power?

I tried A2/B2 combination and no luck.

I tried my RAM modules on a different PC and there were no errors. I tried 2 identical 512mb mobules on mine and same problem. The motherboard has issues booting in Dual Channel mode.

I still have it working now with 2gb ram (b1/b2 slots for single channel configuration). But I do a lot of 3D rendering and I believe Dual Channel is useful for that.

CrazeD said:
You can test the PSU by jumping two wires.

Unplug the PSU from the wall, and then disconnect all the wires inside the PC. Take an old piece of wire and cut it to like 3 - 4 inches long, then strip both ends.

Take the 20+24 pin ATX connector and insert one end of the stripped wire into the GREEN wire, and then the other end into any BLACK wire. So that's one end in the GREEN wire, one end in any BLACK wire.

Now, plug it in.. see if it turns on. If it does, it could still mean that it is bad, by not having sufficient power to turn the computer on. However, if it doesn't turn on, you will know it was the PSU and you never even had to take it out. :)

If you mess something up or electricute yourself, I am in no way responsible.

The Elmer Fudd approach to PSU testing. The above proceedure is not only stupid but useless. It's called a multitester. You can check voltages at the 24 pin and 12 volt rails. Also check the voltages at the ground wires for both the 24 pin and 12v. If there is any more than .0010 milivolts on the grounds you have mobo circuit leakage and a damaged mobo. Additonally, +/- 5% on the voltages is your upper lower thresholds for PSU voltages. You can buy a nice digital Multitester at sears for $30!!! Sheesh!!!
:p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom