Test power supply?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thewolfe

Baseband Member
Test power supply?

I have an eMachine T2642 that won't startup at all.

Was working before move.

Is the power supply the first thing to check?

The machine has a 20 pin connector and I have a multimeter.

Don't know how to check to see if that's the problem.

i doubt you could check anything with the meter because the 20 pin port usually needs to be plugged into the motherboard for the power supply to turn on. first i think you should make sure the psu is set to the correct voltage. most likely that would be 115V. if your psu (at back of ur tower) does not have the voltage setting then no worry about that. make sure the plug is in correctly. you could use your multimeter and make sure the wall outlet has the correct voltage. if you dont know how to do that, dont kill yourself trying, just carry the pc back to where it was b4 u moved it and try turning it on.

check the pins on the board that go to the front power button and make sure they are in correctly.

u could also sniff around inside the system for any burnt components.

The first thing I would try is to see if the 115/240 switch is on the correct spot. Then I would plug it on the motherboard and see if there is any response when I turn it on. If not, I would unplug it and test to see if the plugs coming from the PS work. After alittle searching I found this link. http://www.dvhardware.net/modules.php?name=Sections&sop=viewarticle&artid=5 or quote jeremy http://www.techist.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=105487#post819393 Since you tried to test it without the paperclip connecting green and ground, the power supply won't turn on. If you have the paperclip in the proper spot and there is still no responce, try to plug in one port to a CD drive. Then if it still won't read anything on the multimeter, your PS is broken.

Its possible to "jump start" a psu. By bypassing 2 wires on the 20 pin ATX connector. Search for it, make sure you know what your doing before you attempt this.

thebleakness said:
Its possible to "jump start" a psu. By bypassing 2 wires on the 20 pin ATX connector. Search for it, make sure you know what your doing before you attempt this.

All you have to do is connect a wire to the GREEN wire, and then to any black wire. It's not very hard to mess up, unless you're color blind.

CrazeD said:
All you have to do is connect a wire to the GREEN wire, and then to any black wire. It's not very hard to mess up, unless you're color blind.
I wouldnt put it pass some people to mess up. :rolleyes:

You know the saying, "Better safe than sorry" ;)

You can test the voltages whilst the computer is switched on but if you're not compotent then I wouldn't try it as you could blow both the computer and the voltmeter.

Alternatively get a proper testing kit

atxtester_pack.jpg

I have the above unit an it makes using a voltmeter easy.

Checked the CPU by using a paperclilp in the P1 connector. No fans turned on.

115/240 switch is OK and everything seems to be "seated" properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom