Warez Monster has an issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problems with the missing apps on startup, msconfig, regedit, etc almost sound like the initial build of certain portions of the registry aren't being compiled correctly upon boot. However, with the Start Menu missing it's almost as if you have some major problems with some system files.

So, you are using the XP Cd to install, then you are loading NAV, Adaware, etc from another CD? Is this not a problem until you load the 3rd party software?

Bad CD-ROMs in all of the computers is a stretch, very doubtful. But one thing that seems to be a trend is the software that you are using after XP is installed.

A corrupted registry can cause this, but he has tried almost a 3 different XP CD and even the manufacture CD. Same problem it seems to be, so what is everyone conclusion at the moment?

mikesgroovin said:
Bad CD-ROMs in all of the computers is a stretch, very doubtful. But one thing that seems to be a trend is the software that you are using after XP is installed.

I'm running into this problem all of the time. in the past 18 months manufacturers are cutting corners to lower costs on the cd and dvd drives. I've ran into this issue at least 20 times in the past year. swapping the drive will always fix the problem.

the funny thing is...

this is never a problem with old cheap basic cd rom drives.

warez, try wiping the drive with powermax to eliminate a bootsector virus. fdisk or the xp cd won't get it

This time I even used the manus cd and serial number which I had to activate. I'm kinda stuck here. I guess the next thing I can do is slipstream all the drivers into a new XP cd and make a copy if there cd and see what happens. But I wont start on this til tomorrow. This is crazy.

Law said:
A corrupted registry can cause this, but he has tried almost a 3 different XP CD and even the manufacture CD. Same problem it seems to be, so what is everyone conclusion at the moment?

Portions of the problem, sure it could. If something is missing in App Paths in HKLM then you will get the same errors. I'm not saying it's the problem because it's happenning after installing the OS. But, i've seen the same thing before when viewing common points of attack with some viruses. They will strip away entries in App Paths just to deter the user from attempting to locate the root of the problem.
With all the other problems going on, it doesn't really seem to be likely, but there again, it's not like there are 20 different possible solutions that we are dealing with here. I don't know.

It's tough to deal with this sort of thing without actually being physically in front of the machine. :)

EricB said:
I'm running into this problem all of the time. in the past 18 months manufacturers are cutting corners to lower costs on the cd and dvd drives. I've ran into this issue at least 20 times in the past year. swapping the drive will always fix the problem.

Oh yea. I'm not doubting the fact that it happens. Absolutely, I've seen it as well. However it just seems a bit of a stretch given that this is the 5th machine in a row. I would be a little surprised if this was the problem...thats all. :)

Warez, I'm a little confused. List all of the CDs that you are using at the moment to build these machines up.

mikesgroovin said:
Oh yea. I'm not doubting the fact that it happens. Absolutely, I've seen it as well. However it just seems a bit of a stretch given that this is the 5th machine in a row. I would be a little surprised if this was the problem...thats all. :)

yeah. i'm thinking that too. I also think that it's possible that windows update put something there to cause this problem

they did this before 3-4 years ago with blacklisted keys and they were exhibited the same symptoms that warez is describing now. strange coincidence that this is the week they started meddling with machines again. that's why I suggest using powermax to wipe the drives clean because windows tools just won't do it (ms did this on purpose). it only takes a minute or so to do

I didnt put and updates on it the seconds time and it still happened

I used my personal XP cd, the companies, and now HP's cd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom