RDP From XPsp2 to Vista 5381 or others?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inaris

Fully Optimized
I just joined the beta at the request of my employer and have started testing this. one thing that I'm running into and didn't know it any of you that are testing with this have see/worked around is RDP from XP. Is it possible to get RDP to work from Xp Sp2 to a Vista machine? I have gone through the configurations and can't seem to find a reason for it not working. I get the error:

The Client could no establish a connection to the remote computer.

the most likely causes for this error are:
1) Remote connections might not be enabled at the remote computer.
2) The maximum number of connections was exceeded at the remote computer.
3) A Network errror occured while establishing the connection.

ok/help

any thoughts?

Assume you have Remote Desktop enable on the Vista machine, but do you have security permission to access it? Are you in a workgroup environment or domain environment?

Can you connect the Vista machine to the XP? Or XP to Vista? Which one is the problem?

Turn the Firewall off too on both machine.

I am an admin both by group membership and domain account being in the Admins group. we are in a domain environment, and the firewall is disabled via GPO, so as soon as the machine is on the network, Firewall goes away. RDP and all remote procedures are in the exception list anyway for testing. I can ping from both machines, I can connect from Vista to the XPsp2 that I'm trying to connect with. I can access shares on both machines from each other. I can access computer management on the Vista box from the XP. I don't think it's a firewall/permissions issue.

Don't know if you done this yet on Vista in Control Panel/System/Remote when you click on Select Remote Users, are your group listed there. Even though Admin can still access without being listed it's a wise move to add your group or user just incase.

ok, I found it. There is a selection field in the remote setup that I needed to read further.
I had selected "Allow Connections only from Computers running Remote Desktop with Network Level Authenication", when I should have selected "Allow Connections from computers running any version of Remote Desktop"

Thanks for the help though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom