1gig, 2gig RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

leeslangley

Baseband Member
Ok my machine runs fine and I am very happy but I made an impulse buy and brought a single 1 GIG stick instead of 2 * 1 GIG or 2* 512 sticks.

Wil I see a significant improvement in games such as FEAR, warcraft, ghost recon AWF and oblivion if purchase another 1 gig stick and run dual channel ?

Is it worht the extra bucks right now

Simple answer : YES :)

Alot more games are eating up the Ram these days, and to be honest it's one of the cheapest upgrades that will have a big effect.

Go ahead and buy another 1 gig, you'll notice it :)

yeh 1 gig isnt to expensive to buy

and having 2 gigs will significantly improve your computer in general and prepare you for more demanding games in the future :)

ok the next question is this,

I was in a hurry so I brough the first memory I could get my hands on, at the moment its a 1 gig (unknown vendor) stick.

Do I go back to the shop I got it from and get another of the same or buy 2 new high performance sticks ?

If high performance sticks will give me a major boost what type of memory is best, I am lookin on www.overclockers.co.uk and they are going on about xms2 , xms1, I am looking under the Corsair section as generally people state them to be the best

High end sticks will give you the same performance as value sticks, unless you are going to overclock them. So if you dont plan on overclocking, just shove another value stick in =)

I would like to over clock at some stage but I am not really sure how to over clock the memory, so far I am just overclocking the CPU and GPU.

What about memory timings, i ran CPU Z and i think I had something like 3-3-3-6

What do the memory timings represent, on the overclockers website there are some nice expensive sticks with what they claim to be very low latency chips

Just doing a little reading, I found this about OCZ memory.

OCZ PC-4000 Platinum 2048MB Dual Channel memory,
featuring Enhanced Bandwidth Technology allows for improved memory bandwidth and stability over existing PC-4000 1GB modules. For the first time, the OCZ PC-4000 Platinum EB series combines the advantages of high density 1024MB modules with the unparalleled performance advances of low timings, delivering enthusiasts and gamers what they want most from DDR memory-superior performance across the complete array of graphic intensive applications and game titles. Unlike no other 2GB memory solution, this cutting-edge line operates with the extraordinarily fast latency timings of 3-3-2! Encased in a mirrored platinum copper heatspreader to aid in effective heat dissipation, OCZ PC-4000 Platinum 2GB Dual Channel DDR featuring Enhanced Bandwidth Technology is the fastest PC-4000 1024MB memory on the market.

- 500MHZ DDR
- CL 3-3-2-8
- Unbuffered
- Mirrored Platinum Copper Heatspreader
- Lifetime Warranty
- 2.8 Volts
- 184 Pin DIMM
- EVP®*
- ULN2**

Is this good, the CL numbers seem higher than others on the web

LU4sTrooper said:
High end sticks will give you the same performance as value sticks, unless you are going to overclock them. So if you dont plan on overclocking, just shove another value stick in =)

Horse pucky..............RAM timings in high quality RAM will give your system a boost running stock. By simply installing Corsair XMS 2 gigs in my system vs CRAPOLAVALUERAM boosted nmy 3dMark05 bench by 400pts! After kicking up my FSB, tightening my timings and kicking up CPU and RAM voltages........900+. I used to be fearful about overclocking, now that I konw what I am doing, I will never run a sytem stock again! Value RAM is a waste of money. You get what you pay for!!!

RicoDirenzo said:
Horse pucky..............RAM timings in high quality RAM will give your system a boost running stock. By simply installing Corsair XMS 2 gigs in my system vs CRAPOLAVALUERAM boosted nmy 3dMark05 bench by 400pts! After kicking up my FSB, tightening my timings and kicking up CPU and RAM voltages........900+. I used to be fearful about overclocking, now that I konw what I am doing, I will never run a sytem stock again! Value RAM is a waste of money. You get what you pay for!!!

Rico you mean u payed 50-100 dollars more so u can get 400 more pts in 3dmark05!!!! OMG!! You rock dude. now tell me did it make a diference in your gaming. **** freaking no, so dont be saying sh!t like that, value ram = perforamce ram at stock danm it!. when i was building my first computer i wasted my money on 512 of xms cosair ram instead of 1 gb or value cuase somebody said it matters, it donst frekaign matter.

ooo an arguement!

900 points on 3dmark05 is a big amount, transfer that to a game and thats a potential few FPS which is valuable.

I OC my GPU and ive used the software tool that came with my mobo to OC my CPU but I dont have the knowledge to do "proper" OC using the BIOS.

If I go from 2.2ghz to 2.4ghz the system reboots and becomes unstable, do you suspect that the memory is the week link here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom