updawg

Baseband Member
Casing: RAIDMAX RX-9 GT Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower
Power Supply: AeroCool ZERODBA 620W
Motherboard: MSI Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI X16 ATX
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 FX60 Toledo w/ Dual Core + Hyper Transport
Video Card: Dual eVGA Geforce 7900GTX 512MB
Memory: Corsair XMS - 2 x 1GB
Hard Drive: Western Digital Raptor 150GB, 16MB Cache, Serial ATA-150, 10,000 RPM
Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS Platinum 7.1 Channels 24-bit 192KHz
Media Card Reader: LINKSKEY 19-in-1 USB 2.0 Black
CPU Fan/Heatsink: ZALMAN LED 2 Ball Blue LED Light Cooling Fan/Heatsin
Casing Fan: AeroCool 120mm Sleeve Case Cooling Fan
Grand Total: 3,293.92 (priced on newegg)

This is the computer I want to put together but I want to save the most money possible. Should I scrap the soundcard since the MB has audigy chip built in? Whats the performance difference if I went with Dual 7900GT instead of GTX? Any thoughts on the Amd x2 chips? I'm a 3rd year computer engineering student and want to put this computer together over the summer, any input would be greatly appreciated! If you foresee any conflicts let me know thanks.

Mike

You say you want to save money??:eek:

Well that is a pretty sweet system there man, cant see any problems here.

I'm not sure about SLI, but when compared as single cards, the 7900GT keeps up with the GTX in some benchmarks.

Personally I feel 2xGTX's is overkill, and a waste of money, especially as the G80's are coming soon. If you wanna save money, i'd stick with a single GTX which is more than enough power for a long time, especially with that CPU:eek: *wipes drool*.

Anyways, good luck :D

Thanks for your input, i think i'll just get a single gtx and get one down the road if I feel like splurging, but what do you think about the cpu should I just overclock an x2 or go with the fx60? Opinions?

I hate to reply to my own topic so much, but whats the best mobo gpu combo, bang for buck? I read many poor reviews about the asus a8 - anyone? I'm really debating going single gpu and then upgrading to the g80? I'm working this summer and plan on dumping 2-3k into a computer.. so any solid advice would be greatly appreciated!

In reply to your CPU question, I've heard alot of good things about the Opteron, and how people have managed to OC them from 1.8ghz to 2.8ghz on air cooling. But i still think the FX-60 will beat the *kitten* out of that.

I would definately go single GPU until the G80's are released, SLI now would be a waste of money.

I think you'd be better oc'ing an opty or an x2, for money purposes, but if money isn't a major issue you may as well go with the FX-60 :D

Also a great mobo is a DFI n4 or an MSI K8N Neo4-f which is what I have and it is really nice.

Otherwise, good luck, looks great!

Charlie -

you should probably go with a motherboard with 2 x16 slots

most sli boards only run your cards at a combined x16 which only utilizes about 1/4 of the 2nd cards power.

buy an ASUS a8n32 or Abit also supplies one that runs at combinded x32

it will be worth your investment because when it comes down to buying a 2nd gpu you will be able to depend on increased performance

i know nothing about the abit so i would go with asus if i were you

I have the asus and its an amazing board. it has the copper heatsink which brings down the heat like no other and its just **** cool looking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom