Harddisk - SATA/SATA2. does it make a big difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dsd2000

Solid State Member
My new motherboard supports SATA2 (3Gb speed), wondering if it really make a significant difference at speed if I choose SATA2 harddrives. Any comments?

If you're buying a new HDD, go for SATA 2. SATA 2 is basically twice as fast as SATA.

CrazeD said:
If you're buying a new HDD, go for SATA 2. SATA 2 is basically twice as fast as SATA.

No! There are a whole bunch of other issues in your system that limit HD access times. If you want a significant performance boost, RAID 0 is what you are looking for and then........Western Digital Raptors in RAID 0...........Huge performance boost!!!!

It shoudlnt make a diference cuase the drive works the same way an ide and sata 1 work. That means it moves at the same speed and read at the same speed. maybe from the cache/buffer to the cpu is 3gb, but from the HD to the cache/buffer is the same.

efd753 said:
It shoudlnt make a diference cuase the drive works the same way an ide and sata 1 work. That means it moves at the same speed and read at the same speed. maybe from the cache/buffer to the cpu is 3gb, but from the HD to the cache/buffer is the same.

Like I said above! :)

well ive had ide and then i switched over to sata2 and i have a noticed a huge difference in speed, from windows booting to games loading faster and just overall performance boost when i open any program from opera to photoshop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom