Windows XP blue screen problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrinnyCDXX

Beta member
I built a new system a few months back and I am having a curious problem with it. When I first built the system, I kept getting the infamous blue screen during boot-up. After struggling with the problem for awhile, I found that if I took the slave drives off of both IDE channels (I had a slave HDD and CDD), windows would load just fine. I have since found that windows will also load just fine as long as both slave drives are set to PIO access mode. That is where I am at now, I have two working HDD's on one IDE channel and two working CDD's on the other...however, as you could imagine, my problem now is that I tend to fall asleep while waiting for large files to transfer to and from the slave HDD. I am at a loss for what the problem is...the MOBO is an MSI K8N neo platinum-fsr with all the latest nvidia nforce3 drivers...is it possible that when I installed windows xp pro, I needed to do an "F6" installation of the IDE drivers?

No, you didn't. You can try using different IDE drivers, download the ones off the msi website, and try the MS generic IDE drivers if all else fails.

What does the blue screen say? You didn't mention how you jumpered each drive, MA:SL:CS. Did you have blue screens before windows finished setting up? Did it start after you loaded the nforce drivers?

Just for future reference it helps the people reading your text to have a clearly defined section that includes the system specs and all relevent info like

Mobo: MSI K8N neo platinum-fsr

Primmary IDE channel:
Master: whoever 200GB 7500RPM
Slave: whatever 300GB 10KRPM
Secondary IDE channel:
MA: XXXX DVD+RW litescribe
SA: Ect.

well, opened up the case to see what I had my jumpers set to...they were both CS...switched them to master and slave and that solves the problem...can't believe I never tried that...but anyway, thanks for the idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom