Graphics upgrade worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timaphillips

In Runtime
Anybody think it would be wise to upgrade my current GPU to a 7600 GT? I figure I can sell it on ebay for $150 TOPS. That way the card would only cost a very small amount. I don't think I can wait for the next round of cards to come out around the time that Vista does. What kind of performace gain would I see? I get an average FPS of about 52 in F.E.A.R. @ 800x600 with no eye candy (maybe 2x AA MAYBE).

I'm trying to save to upgrade my CPU to Core 2 Duo. I place alot of blame on my CPU, but I probably shouldn't huh??

I would keep the card you have as its pretty mid range anyway. Wait till the DX10 cards come out so you dont waste your money now.

It's in my sig. But anyway it's a HIS Ice Q2 X800XL.

My DX10 thinking is that it won't come out until around the time of Vista. Even then, it'll take games a little bit to actually utilize it right?

Will my processor upgrade (even if it's to a D950) help things out?

ahhh i see

well if you REALLY want an improvement
i would go with the 7600.

but mentalist is right. if you can hold out till vista comes out and the 8 series you can buy a better gpu with the money youve saved in the time

tehdigit said:
ahhh i see

well if you REALLY want an improvement
i would go with the 7600.

but mentalist is right. if you can hold out till vista comes out and the 8 series you can buy a better gpu with the money youve saved in the time

Good point. CPU/motherboard first then?

The X800XL is better than the 6600 lol. and as you have the ice version i would use atitool to overclock it. keep doing tests on artifacts to find the best clocks.

Mentali$T said:
The X800XL is better than the 6600 lol. and as you have the ice version i would use atitool to overclock it. keep doing tests on artifacts to find the best clocks.

I said I was gonna get the 7600, not the 6600. and I already have it OC'd using ATI Tray Tools. See the sig.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom