Intel Brands new line of Chips: Conroe, Merom

Status
Not open for further replies.
AMD is staying no way are they going out Intel will own AMD each quarter in 2007 it seems and in 2008 AMD will win again if they stick to their roadmap that is with ddr3 and such.

Wonder what the Woodcrest and Clovertown stickers will look like. They are still only code names if I'm not mistaken.

AMD definitely isn't going anywhere. it takes more to break into a market than it does to stay in it and who could deny that AMD broke into the processor market. they may lose market share but it won't kill them. heck, even VIA are still in the game barely and they haven't had anything competitive since the days of the original pentium.

Its all good, its like the GPU market between ATI and nVidia, Intel will get on top of the game for a couple months then AMD will come out with a chip and get on top of Intel and it will just cycle over and over

JoshSB said:
Its all good, its like the GPU market between ATI and nVidia, Intel will get on top of the game for a couple months then AMD will come out with a chip and get on top of Intel and it will just cycle over and over

Its hardly like GPUs. AMD was on top for some 4 years now, and Intel's going to stay on top for atleast another 1 1/2 years until end of 2007 when K8L comes out. And still, by that time, Intel will have brought out a architecture refresh, perhaps increasing the performance even more. You have to understand, like the K8 archiecture from AMD was awesome and stayed on top for 4 years, the Core architecture could easily do the same. Fortunately, AMD is known for having good architectures, so I don't think we'll be seeing a Pentium 4-like failure from AMD, and they could easily get back in the game with K8L. But there is no way AMD is getting a new CPU that will touch a Conroe's clock-for-clock performance anytime before K8L. While GPU generations refresh every 6 months or so, CPUs take quite a bit more time.

Moore's Law (I think its Moore) every 18 months there is a doubling in processor speed, so far since the first processors, it has held true, I dont think it will be proven wrong anytime soon, since AMD and Intel have a pretty fierce rivalry going on =)

Haha, forgot about that. Yea, the 18 months between Conroe and K8L would apparently supoprt that. Then again, Intel may bring out it's own Core revision (its planned to every 2 years) and it would still support the Law. Though I have to give AMD more credit than that. They got it right once, they can do it again.

Intel should just like, forsake everything that has anything to do with the Pentium 4, bring their biggest mistake ever, and just baby the Conroe, Merom and Woodcrest as much as possible, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom