AIW 9600 help...

Status
Not open for further replies.

damian5000

Baseband Member
If I have an aftermarket video card plugged into the AGP port, will this force the computer to default to the AGP port even if the monitor is plugged into the motherboard's on board video port?

- Damian

Can SOMEBODY answer this simple question? This is the second tech forum I've posted it on and nobody seems to know.

If you don't know, can you do me a huge favor and unplug your monitor from your aftermarket video card and plug it into your motherboard's onboard video, turn on the computer and see if the monitor engages? Thanks would be greatly appreciated.

- Damian

Well most people dont have onboard graphics. As most people game here... Anyways

Why dont you try it yourself?

Some mobo's require you to disable the onboard video before you can use the AGP slot. Other's just you plug into the AGP and it will default to that. :confused: Try it out and see what happens

I didn't want to get all into the story... But here it is: I bought a computer off ebay and when I opened it there was a AIW 9600 XT in there (which wasn't mentioned in the ad, I don't even think the guy knew it was there).

Well... It was bent up and out of the AGP slot and into the motherboard. How or why...I don't know...but it looks physically undamaged.

It did not come with the silly monkey cable adaptor thingy this card requires so that you can plug in the monitor and RCA ETC....................

Soooooo... When I plug it into the AGP slot and turn on the computer (with monitor hooked to onboard video), the computer seems to boot fine (no warning beeps, hard drive looks to be loading windows)... BUT the monitor isn't engaging. I want to install the drivers and make sure the card is ok before I purchase the $40 adaptor. But I can't see crap because the monitor hooked to onboard isn't engaging.

Anyone shed some light? I'm ASSUMING (though I realize not necessarily) the card is ok since there are no warning beeps and the computer seems to be booting fine other than no display.

So I'm trying to find out if this is just natural behavior of SOME motherboards to default to the AGP if a card is plugged into it EVEN WHEN the monitor is plugged to onboard video.

Thanks!

- Damian

Yes you can run both onboard and agp on Most boards, It sounds like the pc got damaged in shipping, Everyone always thinks this is a video card problem Just because there's no video signal,,,it isn't!! it's 99% of the time motherboard related! And what monkey cable are you talking about? If its a 9600xt aiw it should have at least a vga out. Are you sure that isn't just a tv tuner card?

Edit -- my bad it does require a "Monkey cable" lol The guy probably had the onboard disabled when he had this card in it,,, To get it back to onboard just reset the cmos and remove the battery that will reinable it.

I appreciate the help, but I think my question is being misunderstood.... I'm trying to see if this card is in working condition, but I can't do that because I don't have the monkey cable and the onboard video isn't engaging when I have the AIW 9600 plugged into the AGP port. When the card is out, the onboard engages just fine.

So I'm trying to find out if it's normal behavior for some motherboards to default to the AGP port when there's a card plugged into it, even if the monitor is plugged into onboard. Thanks again if someone can help with this.

I don't want to invest in the cable if this seems like something OTHER than the motherboard's natural behavior.

- Damian

Awesome... Thanks for the help. I guess I'll invest in a monkey cable and see what happens from there...

- Damian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom