mobo: ASUS a8n-SLI premium socket 939 ATX
vid: GeForce 7600GT 256mb PCI Express x16
power supply: Antec TruePowerII 430w
ram: 2gb (2 x 1 DDR 4000 PC 3200
hd: hitachi 250gb 7200 SATA
dvd: pioneer 16x dvd burner
heatsink: thermal cl-p0257 blue orb II
case: Thermaltake ATX mid tower

I placed power supply in the case, the motherboard in the case, the cpu (lifted lever, placed it in with no forced required, held it with finger and closed latch), the heatsink over cpu, ram modules (one in A1, one in B1 as directed by motherboard manual), vid card into the first pci express slot, placed dvd and hd into bays but did not connect them to power supply or motherboard yet. Connected heatsink to motherboard as well as the power supply via the 4pin and 20-24pin connectors.

When I turn on the switch on the back of the power supply, there is a solid greenlight on my motherboard. However, when I press the power button on the front of the case - a blue light (power button) goes on for a bref second and then shuts off. When this occurs: My power supply, Heatsink, and Case's fans all turn on for a second and then shutoff as well. I checked all cables and re-installed the cpu/heatsink with no luck. :(

Is my power supply the likely culprit or motherboard? I can go to circuit city tomorrow morning and grab a new power supply.

Are you sure the case wires are plugged in properly?

How many watts is the PSU, what are the amperage ratings, and did it come in the case or no?

Yes I'm pretty sure they are plugged in properly. Although I was a little uncertain with which side is the + or - for the Power SW cord which controls the power button on the case. I tried it both ways and same result.

430 watts. Not sure what amperage ratings are. It did not come in the case.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817103928

That's a link to my power supply.

CrazeD said:
Are you sure the case wires are plugged in properly?

How many watts is the PSU, what are the amperage ratings, and did it come in the case or no?

Hmm.. 17A is a tad low for the +12v, but you shouldn't have any problems at all booting.

Can you try the PSU in a different computer, or try a different PSU in your new computer?

Did you try reseting CMOS (just for the **** of it)? My friend's computer was once doing the same as yours, and reseting CMOS seemed to fix it.

Try disconnecting the HDD and see what you get.

I don't think it matters which way the +/- is on the power switch, but I'm not certain on that.

The only other computer I have is a laptop.

HDD is not connected, its just sitting in its slot.

I will try reseting cmos.

CrazeD said:
Hmm.. 17A is a tad low for the +12v, but you shouldn't have any problems at all booting.

Can you try the PSU in a different computer, or try a different PSU in your new computer?

Did you try reseting CMOS (just for the **** of it)? My friend's computer was once doing the same as yours, and reseting CMOS seemed to fix it.

Try disconnecting the HDD and see what you get.

I don't think it matters which way the +/- is on the power switch, but I'm not certain on that.

Sounds to me more like a PSU problem than a Mobo problem. Its not impossible that the PSU was DOA, regardless of whether its a Antec. Don't you have any friends with PCs? Try to swap the PSU out with a friend to see if it works in his PC.

Ya I will probably take it to a friends house tomorrow and try it on his PC. Or just buy a new one from Circuit City and if it doesn't fix my problem I can just return it.

Should I look for something higher than 430w as a replacement?

You can test the PSU by jumping two wires.

Unplug the PSU from the wall, and then disconnect all the wires inside the PC. Take an old piece of wire and cut it to like 3 - 4 inches long, then strip both ends.

Take the 20+24 pin ATX connector and insert one end of the stripped wire into the GREEN wire, and then the other end into any BLACK wire. So that's one end in the GREEN wire, one end in any BLACK wire.

Now, plug it in.. see if it turns on. If it does, it could still mean that it is bad, by not having sufficient power to turn the computer on. However, if it doesn't turn on, you will know it was the PSU and you never even had to take it out. :)

If you mess something up or electricute yourself, I am in no way responsible.

Here's an article, incase you don't trust me. :)
http://www.virtual-hideout.net/guides/atx_psu_mods/index.shtml

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom