What's a good P/S?

Status
Not open for further replies.

edgewoodzgimp13

Baseband Member
I just built a cheap system that I can't afford to lose. I'm a highschool student with a part time job trying to save as much money as possible. I went cheap with case and Power Supply and it burnt out, luckily it didn't take anything with it. I now know that going cheap on a power supply is a bad thing.

My question is what kind of power supply is good. Now I really want a case with power supply for under $100. Is it possible to get a case AND P/S for under that price?

Newegg refunded me the money for the case and let me have it since they thought it was an inconvience to ship back. Should I keep the case and just spend about $55+ on a power supply.

There was a Dynex case with power supply at Best Buy for $85. What do you guys recommend? Remember I'm on a budget so even something that comes in a Dell would suit me.

case doesnt really matter, unless you need max airflow and all the bells and whistles, i would personally keep whatever case you have and buy a nice psu, unless you buy an antec the ps with the case wont be that nice, i wish i bought a modular (spelling) ps but if u dont want to spend that much money just buy a nice antec truepower or soemthing along those lines

hope that helps

edit: i would rather eat sh*t than buy computer parts (other than a mouse) at best buy :)

I would get a fortron 450w and a case like the thermaltake Matrix - it will be slightly over $100 though.

wait u said u bought a case AND psu, you through out the case as well? keep the case you have now and buy an Antec SmartPower 500watt.

No I'll be keeping the case and buying a new power supply. I might just throw away the case and get a new one too because the one I bought was really cheap and crappy and I want something decent.

Real cheap PC....

NEW:
AMD Sempron 3100+ Socket 754 PCU
ASUS K8U-X Socket 754 Motherboard
CORSAIR ValueSelect 512MB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200)
Rosewill 64MB Video Card
Wireless Internet Card

OLD:
Pioneer 8x DVD Burner
Seagate 250GB HD

Like I said... real cheap yet still an upgrade from this $1500 Dell I bought almost 6 years ago for about $1200 less.

if you want to save money, keep that case, and just buy a new psu

that isn't a gameing or highend setup, and you won't need a high performance case

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom