partition magic... HELP!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tommyboy123x

Daemon Poster
i made a few partitions today for the first time and am very ignorant at how to change partitions. Somehow my xp partition is at almost exactly 5 gigs (which is the partition size) and im not sure how!

somehow... the windows folder got to be 3.xx gigs... maybe when i pressed F8 to agree with the EULA ;)

but i need to make my partition bigger. i resize my extended partition as well as my O: drive (Old OS - 98) to make my xp drive (C:) 6 gigs. When i do this, however, it says "There are no active partitions. Are you sure you want to apply changes?"

my C drive is clearly active (and it says so). i have not installed anything on the O: drive yet (thats tomorrows project :p), however it is in the FAT32 file system

do i just ignore the warning? I really don't want to install windows again... for the 4th time this week >_<

thanks!!

Oh its is possible to install XP first and then win98, I have done it on my secondary computer..
But its not 100% straight forward, you need to tweak a few things, I'm see if I can find a guide for you.

Edit: Here we are

great, thanks for the help...

i'll ignore the message, install 98 the "correct" way

thanks for saving me a few hours of headaches :)

well actually... maybe i just wont intstall 98... maybe just like 2003 or something to have IIS (i just had to downgrade from xp pro to home and i don't have IIS anymore :()

lets see... that'll be what, 900 dollars? :p

actually... is it possible to install windows 98, have xp "not work" or w/e, and then reinstall xp with either a repair install or a fresh one, without losing all of my programs? (programs are on the P drive). Because i noticed that there is a 700+ mb folder of program files on the C drive, as well as all of the aplication data, etc.

so i guess what im asking is, if i reinstall windows, will i lose all of my programs because of registry overwrites, file overwrites, etc?

thanks

Try Gparted it is a Linux Kernal at it's core and it's under a GNU lisence. More functional and cheaper.

i already have a linux, but i am going to be using my computer to test some scripts, and need to test it on a variety of platforms. I already have kubuntu linux, and the difference between linux's is fairly small, not to mention that there are a lot more 98 users out there who can't make the software i'm testing than Gparted linux users ;)

but can i just reinstall/repair xp after i install 98 without doing a ton of other crap?

Any reinstall of XP will overwrite the registry and your programs will need to be reinstalled.

However you can start the installation to another folder then copy the boot files across to your original folder. (not tried this with a multi boot system)
I imagine it would still require a little tweaking but it might work.

I sugget you follow the procedure I linked to as I know that works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom