Windows Vista Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Suprisingly, Microsoft have just released an interrim build of Windows Vista (Build 5381) to testers, via MS Connect. The build is available for both x86 and x64 platforms. The release of this build seems to have contradicted the recent article published by Paul Thurrot, in which he stated that Beta 2 would be build 5381, and would be released on the 22nd May.

The 32bit DVD is 2,296.55 MB, the 64bit DVD is 4,834.25 MB. Currently, users can only download from Microsoft's Redmond server as the Dublin and Singapore servers are experiencing problems

Download

Yes just go to Http://www.connect.microsoft.com and sign up. But even if you do that doesnt mean that Vista will be available. It is for testers who have been invited by M$ themselves. The Beta acceptance is over since they are so close to the Public release.

i think Vista must be coming soon, within a few months at least.

My mother bought a laptop three months ago, and it was designed for XP, not vista (its a celeron M though, could be why)

My dad just bought a laptop yesterday, and it said that its Vista capable. That must mean that MS is making progress...

Not really their logo system is garbadge in my opinion yeah sure it will run Vista but with all features who knows the requirements aren't even released yet. A vista cabable PC can have integrated video memory but yet it takes 64 megs of video memory to use the areo features.

Vista hopefully will be released soon but there was another recent delay and we are looking at June 2007 currently for consumers and November 2006 for corporate users. The next build release should be Beta 2 and the one Microsoft has promised to make a public release.

in a way its a good thing its taking so dam*ed long... this way software developers can have time to fully prepare

but my god... this is outragouse!! (almost as bad as my spelling :p)

but the stupid link doesn't work for me AGAIN!! microsoft connect needs to get a better server... or better servers

i have a passport account..... do i need to have a connect account or something??

@talldude
The Vista capable sticker only means that When Vista is released the Pc can run the toned down Basic Home Edition of Vista. If it uses integrated GFX it wont even allow for the Glass effects. In the words of PC Magazine "It may be Vista capable, just am i am Capable of hitting a single off Randy Johnson."

There are planning on the public release later this month. All info is pointing toward the 22nd of May for the public debut of Vista Beta 2.

@tommboy
They are pushing back Vista to make sure the coding is right. This isnt a bad thing. It just will mean that all apps and programs will run correctly will little to no bugs. Unlike XP when it was released which was full of them. They are also making sure the security aspect is covered from begining to end.

If you have a passport account you should be able to sign into connect. As i have said just cause you can sign in to connect doesnt mean that you will have Vista available for download. You can start to apply for Betas there and maybe get lucky enough to get into Vienna which will be the OS after Vista. At least the codename for the OS after Vista.

Microsoft's attempts to bolster security may hurt it in the enterprise sector, an analyst report said Monday. Behind the Boston analyst firm Yankee Group's reasoning is the general user-unfriendliness of those security features.

As such, Yankee Group has recommended users stick with Windows XP Service Pack 2 until 2008 if they believe such issues may present a problem. It even suggested looking at Apple's dual-boot Macs as a "hedging strategy."

The firm gathered feedback from developers, who complained that Microsoft had went too far in its implementation. They also said that some of the security measures were too repetitive, and even seemed to talk down to the user.

The report's author Andy Jaquith specifically pointed to the user account feature as an area of greatest concern. Based on a build released in December 2005, the way the feature was implemented in that release was too strict and a posed potential problem.

rubbish you can't go to far in security and both Mac, UNIX, and Linux have had these features for years it's time Microsoft cought up.

Windows Vista - not so clear after all

An irritating interface could be just one of the factors that hurts uptake of Windows Vista in the enterprise, challenging Microsoft's ambitious rollout goals.

Yankee Group has said "quite a bit of work" remains to be done to the Windows Vista interface, judging by the currently available beta, and advised customers to wait for up to year after the operating system ships before using Windows Vista.

SPONSORED LINKS
IT gurus seek Your counsel - Jobsite, The best people for the job

You inspire awe - Jobsite, The best people for the job

We answer 99.6% of all support calls within 5 seconds. Rackspace Managed Hosting with Fanatical Support

Improve your Time Management Skills with The Register's training library
Challenges in Vista usability led Yankee to predict Microsoft would miss its goal for 400m desktops running Windows Vista 24 months after launch - a date outlined in March before news broke Windows Vista would miss its fourth-quarter 2005 launch. Yankee joins Gartner in becoming the latest big-name analyst house to pour cold water on Windows Vista. Gartner has also advised users to delay upgading until Microsoft has worked out the kinks.

Ironically, the thing hurting the Windows Vista interface is a by-product of Microsoft's greater push on security. A mass of dialogue windows that ask users whether they are sure they want to take certain actions, or to re-enter passwords, are part of an attempt to remove default administrator privileges from end-users. Unfortunately, this stringent application of security seems to apply to actions like altering the systems control panel and making changes to the clock, Yankee said.

The cluttering of the interface would be something of an own goal, given Microsoft's marketing team settled on the "Vista" name specifically to convey the "clarity" the operating system is bringing to customers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom