Imaging Machines Over Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

neBo503

Baseband Member
HOW CAN I IMAGE A MACHINE ON MY NETWORK WITHOUT HAVING TO PHYSICALLY GO TO THE MACHINE AND PUT A BOOT DISK IN IT?

I use Norton Ghost... but will buy any software that will make this work.

Please help it will make my life so much easier!!!

This is a rather complex task, and if someone wants to write it all out, feel free.
Look here for starters:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/deploy/depopt/remoteos.mspx

Here is another using SMS/WinPE to deploy as well.
http://www.windowsitpro.com/Windows/Article/ArticleID/49497/49497.html

Something else to look at:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/itsolutions/cits/dsd/bdd/bddpcimg.mspx
This is a good setup/config process for doing RIS/SMS-WinPE deployments.

Good luck, and feel free to ask away...

Thanks a bunch... I will be reading all that, and checking back in. Thanks for helping out! Soon as I figure this out... my life is going to be easy as pie.

neBo503 said:
HOW CAN I IMAGE A MACHINE ON MY NETWORK WITHOUT HAVING TO PHYSICALLY GO TO THE MACHINE AND PUT A BOOT DISK IN IT?

I use Norton Ghost... but will buy any software that will make this work.

Please help it will make my life so much easier!!!

how do you use norton ghost to do it?

I make a boot disk... then i plop the disk into the machine physically... let it run... select my image, badabing.

neBo503 said:
I make a boot disk... then i plop the disk into the machine physically... let it run... select my image, badabing.

how do you make a image to deploy?

I bought me an small smartdisc firelight 40 gig external drive. I've install lot of computers for this daycare company. I had to manually install it on15 different computers. I want to put an image unto the pocket hdd, then install the ghost disc and then deploy windows in 15 minute or less

I build the image just like I would build a regular operating system spec'ed out how I want it... then I run sysprep, then I upload my sysprepped image to a GHOST folder on my server.

sysprep makes your operating system go to the 'setup' part of it... like if you run sysprep, then reboot your machine, it takes you to the point where you gotta name the machine, admin password, connect to domain and all that.

i am a n00b sys admin so sorry if my terms are wrong lol all i know is that my stuff works haha

You can get sysprep from the XP cd and the MS website.
TO make the deployment for this work, I've been looking at something like this:
Need 1 dedicated PXE Server. Create a img file of a WinPE cd-rom ~50mb. Use the PXE server to send the Image to a machine when it boots, and requests it, and have the image run a batch file to run ghost. We support about 11 machine types now on 1 image, but the image is 3.4 gb, due to software and configs...

This is the method that I would use. We don't do it simply because of load. We cover most of the state of alaska, have 17 sites and it's a pain if you image 3 machines in a remote site using this method casue the overall bandwidth goes to ****.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom