FM/TV Tuner Card Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

gurusan

Golden Master
Ok a month or so ago I built my boss a computer. I work at a Bed and Breakfast and there are always radios in almost every room playing the same station to I dunno....keep a good vibe in there or something.

Anyway, he asked me if there was a way to get the radio on the computer to be in sync with the rest of the radios (he was streaming NPR)....and I said that there are TV tuner cards and I'm pretty sure there are those with an FM function.

When I said that he suddenly got interested and asked about recording TV shows.....so I said I'd do some research.

I've been doing some research and it seems as if the best bang for the buck tuner out there is the Leadtek WinFast TV2000 XP Expert . I'm looking for something under 75 bucks and this sells for 45-55 shipped.

My questions are:

1) Will this play exactly like a normal radio (i would assume so but I'd just like to confirm)....as in will it be PERFECTLY in sync with the rest of the normal boombox radios? It really bugs the boss when he walks into the room and hears the last 2 seconds over again.

2) The TV signal is just normal cable TV, not HDTV or anything...but he wants to be able to record shows and burn them to DVD's to watch on his dvd player at his house. Will the LeadTek be just fine? Will there be any noticeable difference in video/sound quality from watching it on a normal TV?

3) Am I right about this card being the best bang for the buck?

I know for a fact that they won't be exactly in sync with the radios, but it's only off by like 5-10 seconds depending on the speed of your CPU and the card. It's the same with the TV tuner.

The quality is lower than standard Tv, but nothing too dramatic. I use windows media center along with Sonic studio and it will record to DVD.

For a good quality card, I reccommend using something by Happauge (or however you spell is).

On a last note, get a PCI card instead of a USB. The delay will be less and the quality better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom