PC for WOW

Status
Not open for further replies.

thebrettman

Baseband Member
My old AMD motherboard has blown up forcing my hand to buy some new computer parts. What I want is a gaming PC and I really only play world of warcraft these days. Preferably the machine will load up as fast as possible and load the game quickly as well. Really simple :)

Budget of around £800 for PSU,CPU,mobo,ram,GPU

From what I gather these parts are meant to be good

Antec Truepower 550w psu

Msi K8N Neo NF4

Corsair Value Select 2gb

Amd 3800 x2

Leadtek geforce 7900GTX 512

Can you please tell me if you see any flaws in this or if the system can be improved either buy going for a different brand or whatever. Thanks for your time

Loading times hinge more on your hard drive than anything else. If you REALLY want it to load fast, put the game on a 10,000 RPM drive. If all you're using it for is WoW and a few other games, that CPU and 7900 GTX are quite superfluous. For gaming only, you'd be plenty happy with a 3500+ single core and a 7600/6800 GT. Also, you could probably get away with one gig of RAM. The PSU is good, as it's never a bad idea to invest in the one part that most prevents horrible death of a rig.

thebrettman said:

Antec Truepower 550w psu

Msi K8N Neo NF4

Corsair Value Select 2gb

Amd 3800 x2

Can you please tell me if you see any flaws in this or if the system can be improved either buy going for a different brand or whatever. Thanks for your time

Do you want just those new computer parts or a whole new system? You could probably--like Orayn was saying--scale down some of the components you have selected, and then just update your entire system.

Hard Drive: Seagate 200GB SATA 3, 7200RPM
Motherboard: Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe
Memory: Corsair XMS 1GB (2x512)
Graphics Card: eVGA 7900GT KO
Sound Card: Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic
Processor: (3800+ X2)
PSU: (Antec 550)

Total: ~£620 (from Newegg, not including CD and Windows)

I don't have anything against MSI, so that MB is probably fine, but I just went ahead and selected the Asus anyway because I've bought that before (works perfectly fine despite reviews). Two GB's of RAM isn't really necessary for WoW, nor is a 7900GTX. The eVGA 7900GT KO comes with a custom designed copper heatsink that covers the memory and allows greater overclocking--and it's cheap, too. The X-Fi is if you want better sound, and I think the 3800+ and the Antec PSU are both good. All around it comes down less than your budget (mind my poor online conversions--about $1150USD); not including case, CD drive, and Windows.

You could always wait a month or so and get an AM2 processor/MB and have a much better upgrade path however.

Orayn said:
Loading times hinge more on your hard drive than anything else. If you REALLY want it to load fast, put the game on a 10,000 RPM drive. If all you're using it for is WoW and a few other games, that CPU and 7900 GTX are quite superfluous. For gaming only, you'd be plenty happy with a 3500+ single core and a 7600/6800 GT. Also, you could probably get away with one gig of RAM. The PSU is good, as it's never a bad idea to invest in the one part that most prevents horrible death of a rig.

I second that, thats all you need to run WoW at max smoothly. Doesn't really matter if you have the money to burn on the 7900GTX, its just going to be a waste of money. Although even the 3500+ is unnecessary since the 3200+ can be overclocked to 2.5Ghz atleast (a rating of 4000+).

Umm...your budget appears to me as "$?00."

thebrettman said:

Antec Truepower 550w psu

Msi K8N Neo NF4

Corsair Value Select 2gb

Amd 3800 x2

I don't think you can get a 7900 GTX with a £800 budget and still have enough for other decent parts as well.

Newegg only ships in the US, you might want to try Overclockers.co.uk, I think you can have them ship to Ireland.

But if you want to play WOW, you don't need a 7900GT/X just get a 7600 GT as that will play WOW fine as well as other games.

I play WoW, and a 7900GTX would be overkill, and wouldn't be worth your money.

I'd recommend a 7600GT (Or a 7900GT if you want to futureproof your system a little), an AMD 64 3800+ (or similar) and 2GB RAM, because WoW does like to eat-up the RAM alot.

In conclusion, ditch the video-card for something a little-more modest as it is not really neccessary.

So whats the budget again?... Can someone type out the words, because I can't see the first number...school computers being stupid.

amd x2 3800
evga 7900gt
2 gigs of corsair
2x200gig western digital hardrives (7200)
asus a8n deluxe sli (add another 7900 later if you want?)
550+ antec or enermax PSU will do fine

this should be fine for your budget^
and it will run WoW flawless

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom