Here's a doozy of a puzzle for you...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gordolordo

Solid State Member
Ok, I posted a week ago about my computer suddenly crapping out on me while playing a video game. Here are the specs:

ASUS A8N SLI Deluxe
Athlon 64 3500
2GB Corsair TwinX Ram
2X BFG 7800 GTX OC 256MB Video Cards run SLI
Creative Audigy Sound Card
WD 10,000 RPM 20 GM HD
650 Watt Power Supply
1500 VA UPS

As I said earlier, my system suddenly **** the bed and would not turn back on. It gave me a screen resolution clicking on the monitor, a black screen, and a few strange beeps from the system speaker. On reboot, nothing happened, just blank screen.

I opened the system and found that the northbridge fan had stopped running and likely fried the motherboard chip. I have just sent that mobo back to ASUS for repair or replacement.

Since I didn't like that mobo very much since reading online about how that mobo has fan problems, and since I need my computer for work and can't really wait 2 weeks, I decided that I would buy a newer motherboard and eBay the replacement when it gets here.

I went to Fry's Computers and bought an ASUS A8N32 SLI-Deluxe after reading the online reviews; it has a passive cooling solution which solves the fan crapping out worry.

Anyway, I put it all together and plug in both video cards in SLI mode: No signal going to monitor. I look inside, and both cards are receiving power and fans are moving throughtout the system.

So I took both cards out and just tried one at a time, in either slot. No signal from either card in either slot (yes I did plug in the power cable and everything). I also checked my monitor by plugging it into my laptop and the monitor works.

Next I troubleshot to see if it was my motherboard installation. I checked to make sure I wasn't shorting it out and after checking it thoroughly, I decided I was not.

Next I moved the RAM around and nothing changed.

Next I took all the ram and video cards out to just test the system. The system boots up and gives me the one long, two short beeps indicating no video cards in place. So apparently the motherboard and bios is functioning. Also, I'm getting no CPU ****ed beeps, so my CPU is ok as well.

Next I put in the video cards, one at a time, with no RAM installed. I get the video card screwed up beeps again. This goes for both cards, in either slot, on their own, or together. Yes, they were plugged in to power and had the SLI bridge when both were in.

After doing this with no luck, I cleared the BIOS on the off-chance it had anything to do with it. No luck.

At this point, it appears as though BOTH of my BFG 7800 GTX OC cards are no good. This seems really messed up to me, and coincidental to boot, but it seems that I have ruled everything else out, as draconian as this verdict is.

I don't have another PCIe video card to test the new motherboard, unfortunately.

One question I have for you pros is this: When my northbridge chip got fried when the motherboard crapped out, could it have possibly fried my video cards as well? Is this something that can blow out a video card, and if so, both at the same time?

I'm prepared to send moth cards back tomorrow, if this is indeed the consensus from all you pros here, but I wanted to get your take on the situation before I send them back in case I'm missing something.

Can you guys please help me? I would appreciate any feedback you can give, especially anything regarding the feasibility of two video cards crapping out at the same time due to a motherboard fan and chip failure.

Thanks for your time.

-Gordon

I doubt it's the power supply. It is a very nice Silverstone Strider that cost me $200.00.

hmmmm, ok I guess I'll try and help... Its pretty unlikly that both cards fried when the northbridge did. Go buy a sh!ty pci-e vid card to stick in and test with. Uhh test the PSU, I doubt its the prob, as silverstone doesn't make cheap junk, but theres a remote possibility that it did some damage to the psu. Test the rails with a volt meter. Could be a defective motherboard, thats probably the most likly thing out of all this, sometimes a board is just screwed from the factory, and parts just don't work right. I had a motherboard 7 or 8 years ago that I esd'ed the ps/2 ports, it would just error on boot and tell me there was no keyboard.

The only way to tell if its the motherboard is to get a cheap pci-e card that you can just test it with or test the vid cards on a known good system.... or send those gtx's to me and I'll test em for ya :)

Oh I didn't catch that...yeah right you snake.

I saved up that money eating MREs in Iraq...no way in **** I'm giving them to you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom