BFG Physx.. May 9th.. are you getting one!?!?

Should I make Windows the primary OS on my MacBook Pro?

• Yes!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I might try to fit it in my next major upgrade, which may be either a conroe cpu, or g80/r600. It does look very cool. But I have read that it might be integrated onto either the motherboard or the video card.

let me take a shot at this... (please, someone correct me if i am wrong)

well theoretically, it is suposed to process the "physics" of the game. so instead of the graphics card "calculating" the physics of, lets say, a granade blowing someone up (that i threw :)).

with a GPU alone, it will have to calculate the physics (based on the programing and such of the game).

with a GPU and a PhysX, The PhysX will calculate the physics, send the info to the GPU, and then the GPU will render it.

i think its a good idea, but its really unncessecsary because a normal graphics card CAN and WILL process it just fine... if not better right now.

im sure way back when people were talking about osmething like "man... why should we get this silly GPU when i can play pong on my brand new 1mhz computer?!"

technology is always changing... but new technology, much like a kid, needs time, money, and pressure...

lets just hope it doesnt make wrong choices and hang out with a bad group... :(

tommyboy123x said:
Its really unncessecsary because a normal graphics card CAN and WILL process it just fine... if not better right now.

Heck No. Have you not seen what Physics calculated through a PhysX card look like? No way a GPU can do that. A GPU is that - a graphics proecssing unit. It cannot do Physics. A CPU is what handles the meager Physics that games have right now. A PhysX card, when used properly, can give you an ridiculous amount of Physics interaction in a game.

Nvidia and ATi say that their videocards are CAPABLE of calculating Physics that are fed through the theoretical Havok FX physics engine. I'm not too sure about how a GPU is going to process Physics. The hardware is totally different, and so are the instruction sets that it can process. Oh well, time will tell.

tommyboy123x said:
let me take a shot at this... (please, someone correct me if i am wrong)

well theoretically, it is suposed to process the "physics" of the game. so instead of the graphics card "calculating" the physics of, lets say, a granade blowing someone up (that i threw :)).

with a GPU alone, it will have to calculate the physics (based on the programing and such of the game).

with a GPU and a PhysX, The PhysX will calculate the physics, send the info to the GPU, and then the GPU will render it.

i think its a good idea, but its really unncessecsary because a normal graphics card CAN and WILL process it just fine... if not better right now.

im sure way back when people were talking about osmething like "man... why should we get this silly GPU when i can play pong on my brand new 1mhz computer?!"

technology is always changing... but new technology, much like a kid, needs time, money, and pressure...

lets just hope it doesnt make wrong choices and hang out with a bad group... :(

umm... no.. a graphics card will not process it better.. and it takes more load of a cpu than a gpu from what i've read in some places... a graphics card alone cannot get anywhere near producing what a ppu can do, have you not seen cell factor? or any ps3 games.. its all aided by the ppu because the gpu and cpu cannot do it alone

I'll get it when it becomes more developed. I also have to wait till the HL engine utilizes it.

im wondering if battlefield 2142 will utilize the physx card... that would be sweet since bf2 and cs:s are the only games i play

i don't see that happening... i don't see a mere patch doing the job of making things compatible with a physX card, they'd probably just have to remake the game... like source2 or something like that...

I voted no, is a waste of money. i cant shell more then 300 for a video card but they want me to shell 250-300? for a physics card? come on now! My video card will help the game more then a physics card would ever will. Remember the card has to still draw all of thoses particles and polygons that the physics says it need to create thoses effect. SO NO! TOO MUCH MONEY. FOR NOT ENOUGH PERFOMANCE!
yeah, i think its a cool tech, but it think it might be a bit too early for its time, cause #1 is expensive #2 its only compatable w/ 2 games and #3 it doesn't boost performance that much....

but maybe in the future it'll prove to be better....
Oh wow just like PCI-E!! :rolleyes:
Ghost Recon looks horrible on the PhysX card. The framerate DROPS when PhysX is added. As if that wasn't enough, the effects that you see with PhysX are ridiculously bad too. A bunch of more debris for 1/2 the FPS? No thanks. Ghost Recon may be the first game with PhysX, and I'll grant it that, but the PhysX performance in this game was horrible. Hopefully its improved in other games, and not just slapped on like in GRAW.
Umm hello you turn on that much graphics on a regular GPU and id like to see it stay that clean and un laggy and the graphics look amazing. i dont see that on a regular video card anywhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom