What is the best firewall for gaming/file sharing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

provoko

Baseband Member
What is the best firewall for gaming/file sharing?
I'm looking for one that takes up almost no memory and cpu, won't effect my ping, and I can add ports too.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

yea, i have been using it for a month now.
ive been scanning for spyware and im not finding any!

prevents spyware, thumbs up

I personally use Norton's Internet Security. I find it perfect nothing gets though and I can still turn on my webserver and it knows to allow incoming connections from port 80.

If you want something free, get Zonealarm. It's kind of annoying at first telling it what to allow and what to stop, but after you get most of your programs checked for usages it runs silent in the background and you dont have to mess with it.

Why did so many say free zonealarm? It doesn't allow me to add ports.

I've actaully been using zonealarm for the longest, but now that I need to add a port to the firewall, the free version doesn't have a setting for it.

I used to sue Norton, but takes up too much memory. I should just go back to norton I guess. I don't know. Any other suggestions?

personally i would say BlackIce is the best firewall for gamming and file sharing, i hate ZoneAlarm and Norton i find them really dodgey and not really that good, but Kerio Personal Firewall is probely a good choice and they have a free version.., but i find BlackIce is the best :)

the setup i use is :
etrust ez antivirus and ez armor firewall
webroot's spysweeper and pop up blocker
popup block version 1.65

just this morning my antivirus detected a virus packaged in an email disguised as coming from microsoft.

the best part of all is that all the software is free, doesn't hang up my system and it runs by itself in the background

ZoneAlarm often has problems with primary connections on WinMX, and other p2p clients. It has to do with the way it processes incoming data.

I would suggest sygate personal firewall as an alternative. Less likely to have conflict, and imho its more secure than za could ever hope to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom