AMD Versus Intel - Showdown [NOT CONROE / AM2!!!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoad

Daemon Poster
Okay, since I figured that by the time conroe reaches my country i'll have grandchildrens, and it'll take my house to get such a chip, i decided to buy my new 'High-End PC" ASAP...

Now im stuck between two decisions, since im stuck to a budget of 1500$ TOP's I can't go top of the top in everything.. so these are two computer builds that i made with my budget, each one has its + and -.. and now I need some advices.. which will be more a$$ kickin' when it comes to hardcore games and softwares..

*Note - I will write the prices in MY country so you will understand better*

Beggining with Intel:

CPU: Pentium D 930 3.0GHz Dual Core [Presler Core - 314$]

Mobo: ASUS P5LD2 LGA775 [184$]

RAM: CORSAIR Dual 1024MB [512x2] 675MHz DDRII TWINX PRO [220$]
GPU[video card]: RADEON X1800XT GDDR3 512MB PCI-E [477$]

Case[Same will be in AMD]: Thermaltake XaserV 6000A [178$]

Total $: 1373 [Note: I use my old 400W PSU, I might need to replace that so if I do its another 80$ which brings me to almost 1500$]

AMD Time:

CPU: Athlon 64 X2 3800+ [427$, a lot more than intel's]

Mobo: DFI LANPARTY UT nF4-D [182$]

RAM: CORSAIR TWINX 1024MB DDR 400MHZ 3200C2 [182$, Big note: unlike Intel rig.. this is NOT DDR2 as AMD Doesn't support such.. big minus? or isn't it?]

GPU: RADEON X1800GTO DDR2 256MB PCI-E [308$ as I had to spend the extra 100$ on the CPU instead of the GPU.. but which is more efficient? :p thats the answers im looking for]

Well, Same case.. so add up 178$, and the optional PSU which I might need to replace[80$], not sure yet [umm, anyone mind throwing an advice about that too?]

Total of[Without the PSU]$: 1277 - Yep, a bit less costy, but hey I had to go for weaker RAM's and MUCH weaker GPU... just for buying an AMD over intel's...... so which will do better if this was a physicall showdown?

Please try to be as objective as possible and don't say things because you own an AMD/Intel and you'r a 'fan' of the brand, and not the performence...[things like "AMD IS THE BEST GO FOR AMD EVEN IF YOU NEED TO BUY RADEON 9250!!" which are obviusly stupid ;) ]

Thanks in advance.. I hope i'll be able to get some true answers for once :)

-Jo / Yoad B.Y.

P.S. I added colors because my post is rather long and it helps reading it if the colors seperate the paragraphs, if it disturbs then tell me and i'll fix it ^_^ just trying to make things easier :p

go with the x2's they beat out the pentium d's because intel screwed up on the pentium d's and rushed them out, amd did more research with the x2's and got the architechture right

What i would do is downgrade the processor to a single core. Upgrade the video card to at least a 7600GT - 7900GT X1900XT. And see if you could afford 2GB's of ram...

The reason for the big price difference on teh CPU's is AMD's dual core is so much more better then the Intel's dual core :p

Though if not, i heard the X1800GTO could be flashed so it would have 16 pipelines. Try to go with some valueselect ram and try to upgrade to 2GB's. Defintely get a quality PSU :)

PZEROFGH, I totaly understand, but look, with AMD I can get only 2'nd grade GPU and old-fashioned DDR 400MHz ram... while with the supposdly weaker chip of intel's, I can get a **** of a GPU and a nice 667MHz DDR2 Ram..... thats why i'm struggling to decide ;) If I had the budget for a good X2 AMD Chip + Good GPU + Nice DDR Ram... **** i'd go for that in a blink of an eye... but since I don't... makes things trickier ;) ... hehe

SomeIranianKid said:
go with the x2's they beat out the pentium d's because intel screwed up on the pentium d's and rushed them out, amd did more research with the x2's and got the architechture right

About you'r reply, don't take it personaly but you just wrote an absolutly stupid post that only an AMD "Fan" [the ...brand's fan] would say.. you totaly ignored the fact that in the intels rig I have a whole lot better RAM, and a whole lot better GPU.... you just went with the "Intel sucks go AMD" line... so ya... i won't put attention to those kind of reply's..... so guys, please take example and don't do that =\.. not what im trying to get to..

Well DDR2 isnt worth it. Especially with the high latency's 5-5-5-10 :eek: :shocked:

Like i said, go with a single core AMD then upgrade your GPU. Sense obviously for gaming it would be GPU > RAM > CPU Unless you have like an X1900XTX and a Sempron 2200+

With Newegg Conroe will be in your country same time as in the Americas. Conroe is the only option if your waiting if your buying now X2.

...new egg doesnt ship to israel.......please stay on subject :p which of those two builds will work better in games and stuff?

btw, just for the protocol, the latency of the DDR2 I might be getting is much lower :p 4-4-4-12

I am assuming you buying this computer for gaming base upon your video card choices.

What it really come down to is the CPU VS GPU.

DDR2 ram does not really make a difference in current setups. When Intel moves to the shorter pipeline Conroe and AMD move to M2 then there might be an advantage but it donÂ’t really have an advantage over a skt 939 AMD with DDR VS any of today INTEL computers.

The AMD CPU better but I guessing you already know that other wise you would of chose the Intel system without a question.

Given those GPU choices am going to have to say the Intel system would properly perform better in games. Most games are bottlenecked more by GPU then CPU. Now there are some examples like Oblivion that you need a really good cpu to perform good on high settings.

I notice that there a $96 difference between the 2 systems. If you add 96 to the AMD video card budget it comes too $404. Are you sure you could not find a 7900GT for $404 they are usually cheaper then x1800XT 512MB versions. The 7900GT performs about the same as a 7800GTX which performs about the same as an x1800XT depending on the settings. I tend to prefer the x1800XT by a very little bit but defiantly not enough to take the lesser CPU.

If you plan ok keeping this comptuer for any length of time definally ignore the people that tells you to go single core. Dual core is the future and here to stay.

If you do go with the Intel try to get the new asus motherboard which will be compatible with conroe. At least that would give you a good future upgrade option.

Conclusions

The RAM should not be a factor in your decision.

If you can get a 7900GT into that AMD system definally go AMD. Otherwise the Intel system would perform better in games most likly.

Well since u have picked out a DFI Lanparty for ur AMD build, you could get the Oty 165 and OC that **** out of it (1.8GHz known to get to 2.8GHz on air coolin) and then you might be able to get the 1800XT with from the $30 or $40 bucks you save on ur CPU and the $96 difference in the two systems that mgoldb2 figured out.

btw the X1800GTO has GDDR3 memory not GDDR2

mgoldb2 said:
I am assuming you buying this computer for gaming base upon your video card choices.

What it really come down to is the CPU VS GPU.

DDR2 ram does not really make a difference in current setups. When Intel moves to the shorter pipeline Conroe and AMD move to M2 then there might be an advantage but it donÂ’t really have an advantage over a skt 939 AMD with DDR VS any of today INTEL computers.

The AMD CPU better but I guessing you already know that other wise you would of chose the Intel system without a question.

Given those GPU choices am going to have to say the Intel system would properly perform better in games. Most games are bottlenecked more by GPU then CPU. Now there are some examples like Oblivion that you need a really good cpu to perform good on high settings.

I notice that there a $96 difference between the 2 systems. If you add 96 to the AMD video card budget it comes too $404. Are you sure you could not find a 7900GT for $404 they are usually cheaper then x1800XT 512MB versions. The 7900GT performs about the same as a 7800GTX which performs about the same as an x1800XT depending on the settings. I tend to prefer the x1800XT by a very little bit but defiantly not enough to take the lesser CPU.

If you plan ok keeping this comptuer for any length of time definally ignore the people that tells you to go single core. Dual core is the future and here to stay.

If you do go with the Intel try to get the new asus motherboard which will be compatible with conroe. At least that would give you a good future upgrade option.

Conclusions

The RAM should not be a factor in your decision.

If you can get a 7900GT into that AMD system definally go AMD. Otherwise the Intel system would perform better in games most likly.
I see, thanks a LOT.. finaly some really good reply ^_^.. well i'll check about that 7900GT But here it costs 500$ if i recall right.. [sadly.. israel prices are very diffrent.... and at times - illogical]

hmm, the mobo i picked does work with the conroe ;) It says flat out Here: "Supports Intel® Dual/Single-Core 65nm Processors"

or does it not mean it'll support the conroe? [As I am counting on the fact it WILL incase i'd like to buy one in the long-term future (half year +...)], if it doesn't support conroe.. show me an asus mobo that does please ^_^, thanks in advance..

-Jo

meefle said:
Well since u have picked out a DFI Lanparty for ur AMD build, you could get the Oty 165 and OC that **** out of it (1.8GHz known to get to 2.8GHz on air coolin) and then you might be able to get the 1800XT with from the $30 or $40 bucks you save on ur CPU and the $96 difference in the two systems that mgoldb2 figured out.

btw the X1800GTO has GDDR3 memory not GDDR2

Forgive me for my ignorance, but what is "Oty" ? :S And is it dual-core? cause im not going for lower than dual core..

and please don't argue, the X1800GTO that is for sale in my country is DDR2, not GDDR and definantly not GDDR3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom