Software counterfeiting message

Status
Not open for further replies.

dvs_lurk

Beta member
I got my computer formatted earlier today and then I scanned my pc with Norton Anti Virus. After that Windows(Professional XP) asks me to download and install recommended updates which I did.

Now the guy who formatted my hard drive used a pirated copy of Pro XP even though I gave my original copy. He claims that he didn't know the product key (I forgot to give him that) so he used "his" copy to install Windows Xp.

Now, everytime I start Windows, I get an error that says that this copy of Windows XP is not genuine. I get two options below:

A. Get Genuine
B. Resolve Later

I click on 'Get Genuine' and windows starts-up, IE pops open and asks me to pay up $149 for an original Windows Xp copy even though I already have one. There is no way, I'm buying a new one.

So now, what should I do? I cannot consider formatting XP again cause I've already lost quite a bit of data and I've been spending the last couple of hours re-installing all the softwares that I had backed up and other data.

Is there anyway I can fix this without formatting or any major hassle?

Dont have to format. Call M$ support line. Explain the situation to them. The should be able to give you adivce on how to fix this situation. If anything they will give you a ID # to activate this copy for now until you format again when you will be instructed to use your CD key.

Plus i think you can chage the CD Key. If you click on activate now does it give you the option to change your CD key? Or after it tries to activate does it give that option. If so then you can just put your CD key in and then try to activate.

i think its something along the lines of 1-800-RU-LEGIT

but i tried doing that too... it didnt really work :(. they said they are stopping the "free CD-KEYS" unless you have a cd that was of "high quality" conterfeigting

back when i was stupid [about computers] i downloaded from a pay-per-warez kind of site w/o knowing it.... got a bunch of software cause it was "so cheap!"

Could the problem be a missing file in the Windows folder?

Cause I tried clicking on Windows updates just to see what happens. It asks me to update and I noticed that in the list of updates, there is a Genuine Windows License Kit.

And then again it says that Windows won't update my computer cause I don't have the License Kit and again it asks me to pay $149.

Is it a missing file of a kit that I could get from somewhere? I'm sure it's the License Kit that I need to solve the problem.

To do that would be considered pirating software and illegal by these forums rules. To just give you an answer on where to get this License Kit would be giving you an answer on how to pirate XP.

Do as i said and spent 5 minutes and call their Tech Line. Explain the situation. They can help.

Makaveli213 said:
Dont have to format. Call M$ support line. Explain the situation to them. The should be able to give you adivce on how to fix this situation. If anything they will give you a ID # to activate this copy for now until you format again when you will be instructed to use your CD key.

Plus i think you can chage the CD Key. If you click on activate now does it give you the option to change your CD key? Or after it tries to activate does it give that option. If so then you can just put your CD key in and then try to activate.

Where do i go to click activate now?

1. Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click Activate Windows.

Or, click the Windows Activation icon in the notification area.
2. Click Yes, let's activate Windows over the Internet now.
3. Click Read the Windows Product Activation Privacy Statement, click Back, and then click Next.
4. Use one of the following methods:• If you want to register and activate Windows at the same time, click Yes, I want to register and activate Windows at the same time, click Read the Windows Registration Privacy Statement, click Back, click Next, type your contact information in the appropriate boxes in the registration form, and then click Next. An asterisk (*) appears next to required information.
• If you only want to activate Windows, click No, I don't want to register now; let's just activate Windows, and then click Next.
The wizard establishes a connection with an activation server, and then processes the activation request.
5. When activation is completed and you receive the following message, click OK:
You have successfully activated your copy of Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom