Need help with Win XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

IHATEXP

Beta member
Hello, I'm new here and I already have big problems, XP problems.

First of all, I'm using windows XP Pro as an OS and I have the following problem. My computer is awfully slow and my resources indicate thay 100% of my CPU resources are taken by a system process called SVCHOST.exe.

I tried everything to get rid of that. Reformatted the hard drive 2 times already, installed, firewall, popup remover, spyware remover, AVG anti-virus etc...

What else is there? Could it be a hardware problem?

Any help would be really appreciated.

IHATEXP:mad:

SVCHOST is a normal component of the processes. I'm not too clear on what is actually happening.

Does it stay at 100% with that all of the time or for short periods?

The total of the CPU usage is always 100%. Sometimes SVCHOST will only take 97% when others processes are running simultaneously but the total of the CPU usage is always 100%

Any guess?

svchost is a generic process which hosts services, that is why there can b mulitple instances of it, u can type "Tasklist /SVC" at the command prompt and figure out what services svchost is hosting and perhaps try to get rid of some unneeded ones altho i dont see why this would b a problem, usually the problem isnt svchost at all its what its hosting is the actual problem such as a corrupted .dll etc.
for further info u can type Tasklist /FI "PID eq processID" (with the quotation marks) and put the process in there, or get this utility which ive never used before but heard good things http://www.gregorybraun.com/DLLSHOW.ZIP , update or make sure all drivers are current, and read this http://www.ntcompatible.com/thread24262-1.html

if i think of anything else i'll let ya kno

edit: also forgot to add that many viruses masquerade as svchost.exe

in the meantime til u get it sorted out u can try turning down the cpu priority for it in task manager to at least make ur pc usuable without shit freezing up, i wouldnt suggest ending it tho

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom