AM2 to wait or not to wait

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's kinda like how GDDR2 for video cards "failed", same with DDR2 for desktops, except they should of made the jump to DDR3 quicker. And bring on the XDR and/or XDR2 ...

ddr 2 is going to be here for a while considering how many chips are using and going to use it in the near future. its better than #1 so im fine with it

Not really ... it is more energy efficient and provides larger bandwiths ... but the latency absolutely sucks, which AMD depends mainly on.

Brtnboarder495 said:
Not really ... it is more energy efficient and provides larger bandwiths ... but the latency absolutely sucks, which AMD depends mainly on.

AMD used to depend on it but not anymore. am2's rely on the pure speed of ddr2. its gaining an average of 5% performance increase as stated before. and the crappy latency is made up for by crazy speeds, also said earlier. therefore, ddr2 IS better. ddr3 obviously will be better but dont wait on it. just go with 2 for now it will be here for a while as i said

Not at all. AMD CPUs definitely benefit from lower timings. And what crazy speeds? Are you talking about crazy bandwith? Because latency IS the speed.

AMD was seriously hoping that DDR2 latency would be alot lower by now, and so that they would never have to sacrifice bandwith for speed. But, that never happened. As a result, AMD chose to go with extreme memory bandwiths (DDR2 667, 800, ect.), because they figured, "****, if we can't get good timings at all on DDR2, might as well take the bandwith increase and slightly increase overall performance".

AM2 was definitely more promising in AMD's eyes a few months ago.

ohh yeah i hear that AM2 is going to be socket 940 but wont be compatable with the 940 mb allready out.=(
srry if this is stupid question but is am2 going to be a duel core? either way i dont think im going to go am2 when it hits the shelf , but insted going to get me a nice atholen x2 for cheap.=)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom