Would upgrading my ram from 1 gig to 2 make a large difference in this setup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stainer711

In Runtime
I am wondering if upgrading from my current 1 gb of ram to 2 in this system will help my fps when many characters are on screen in games such as CS:S and WOW.

Here is my setup:

1 gig dual channel ram

amd athlon 64 3700+ processor
------------------------------------------------

I am mostly looking to get a performance boost in WOW and CS:S. Would upgrading my ram make a decent difference?

well yes because your pagefile will be disabled (hard drive memory that is used as ram which is very slow) also loading, booting, multitasking will be very much increased..

but in terms of frame rates it will only increase by maybe 10 or 25..

10 or 25? Holy ****! That's way more than i was expecting! Can i get a confirmation on this? I have heard the opposite on irc, and i just want to justify the purchase before i plunk down the money. Should getting two more sticks of 512 interfere with the 1gig i already have?

If you can, try to get the same exact sticks as you currently have. If you can't try to find some with the same latencies, voltage and all that good stuff, and then there shouldn't be a problem..

So do you know if doing the upgrade will help WOW and CS:S? Every other person has a different answer it seems.

WTF are you smoking, no way it'll increase by 10 or 25. If you can play any game fine now lagless, then your obviously fine. Maybe you'll gain 5 FPS at the most, unless the game is lagging horribly now because your multitasking.

But 90% of the time, if a game lags it's related to the CPU or GPU, 1Gb is a very solid amount for now. If your looking for a boost in FPS, then your going to want to boost your GPU to at least a 7900GT.

10 to 25 sounds like a bit of an overstatement, but not having to use a pagefile will be a serious boost to your general computer usage.

If your looking for a boost in FPS, then your going to want to boost your GPU to at least a 7900GT.
Well, a vanilla 7800 GT is fine. It SHOULD be plenty sufficient to play most games today, and if the original poster's game performance is actually sub-par, there must be some other reason.

well, 40 fps during firefights in cs:s. Also, 40 fps in firefights in unreal tournament 2004. Both games maxed. I know the cs one is normal, but unreal tournament? WTF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom