XP Slow Boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

KirknDee

Beta member
I am having a problem with Windows XP slow booting. The time is around three minutes. When I clear all “Start Up" items in msconfig I see no difference. I can speed up the boot process stopping certain programs in "Services" but I cannot not seem to nail down which one is causing the problem. I do use Norton System Works, adware, plaxio, and spy sweeper. I have RAID serial set as a mirror. I use a gigabyte K7, dual memory, 1.0 Corsair @ 400, an AMD XP2800, an 8500 all in wonder card w/128mb.

I have used Bootvis from MS and it does not help me. I have downloaded Hijackthis but don't know how to understand all the registry items.

Would anyone mind giving me a lesson? I guess you could call it "Registry for a big Dummy'.

Regards,

Kirk
Las Vegas

From someone elses suggestion i read in another group: " If you recently installed patch 811493 from Windows Update, go to Control
Panel, Add or Remove Programs, and uninstall it. There is a known problem
with performance after installing this patch with certain computer
configurations."
I can't take the credit for it if it fixes your problem.

Read this article also: http://www.microsoft-watch.com/article2/0,,1037305,00.asp

Lots of other information from this person here:
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

I don't see that Windows Hot Fix but I will keep checking.

Thanks for replying. Hope I can return the favor someday.

Regards,

Kirk

The slow bootup can be due to any of the following reasons:

- Startup items
- Prefetcher information

As you have already tried disabling the startup items, I recommend you remove the prefetch information. I am providing you the detailed information about the prefetcher feature that is available in Windows XP below:

Windows XP Home and Professional monitors the files that are used when the computer starts and when you start applications. By monitoring these files, Windows XP can prefetch them. Prefetching data is the process whereby data that is expected to be requested is read ahead into the cache. Prefetching boot files and applications decreases the time needed to start Windows XP Professional and start applications.

Prefetching is further improved if the files are located next to each other on the outer edge of the disk. Windows XP optimizes the location of boot files and applications when the computer is idle. The optimization occurs in the background. After the initial optimization takes place, subsequent optimization occurs, at most, every three days.

Disable the Windows XP Prefetcher

When troubleshooting either Windows or program start-up issues, it might be helpful to disable the prefetcher, because it runs as a background service while other applications are running or loading.

To disable the prefetcher:

Click Start, Run.
Type regedit and click OK.

Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SYSTEM \ CurrentControlSet \ Control \ SessionManager \ Memory Management \ PrefetchParameters

Double-click the "EnablePrefetcher" value.
Change the Value data to 0 to disable the prefetcher.
Close the registry editor and restart the computer.

The EnablePrefetcher Values are:

0 - no prefetch
1 - prefetch applications only
2 - prefetch boot only
3 - prefetch both applications & boot (default)

However, after using XP some time, the prefetch directory can get full of junk and obsolete links in the Prefetch catalog. Removing the files of Prefetch folder will increase the system performance. You can safely remove these files; any files that are needed will be created again automatically.

If still the issue persists, you may need to check for the viruses.

Is AdAware set to automatically scan at boot-up? If so, that would add quite a bit of time.

Hedda Lora

Hi KirknDee nice to meet you !
I had similar problem and resolved it after installed Norton GHost. This program allow to save freshly installed PC to image file and reload it whenever PC is staring to slowdown for file system become swollen or smth else.

I run Adware and check the drives everyday. I use Jason's Cookie Jar and rid myself of most of my cookies. I also delete my History every two to three days. I have Norton's ghost installed but haven't used it because of the mirrored drives. I will look into the program a little more.

Oh I had already tried different Prefech setting I was at 2 am now using 0 with no changes in boot time.

Does the wireless sign on have an effect? I use wireless plus Cox cable at 3000/325.

I real want to thank all those who have offered advice. I am trying each idea that someone posts.

Thanks,

Kirk
Las Vegas

"The Bitmap Reloaded"

This problem usualy isn't caused by having too many cokies, or even too many programs. what you need to do is to OPTIMISE your Hard drive.(SPEED DISK) Which is a feature available in Norton SystemWorks, works by organising your computers files in their correct order one byte at a time

It is your most likeley solution.....

See my Picture.....

I presently use Executitive diskkeeper but I have also tired Norton's Speed Disk. As we know XP is famous at frag. up a drive.

Thanks,

Kirk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom