HardDrive Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

toothless

Solid State Member
Everytime i go to Format my HardDrive it gets to about 48% and stops and says that i have Insufficant Memory??And also i've got a 40g harddrive and its only reading bout 7g's?? Any help would be Thankful.
Thanks,
Eric

hey there. What Operating System are you running?

I am assuming this is a second hard drive you have recenly installed and you are able to boot the computer to you current operating system?

Is this an external or internal hard drive?

If you are using Win95, or dos the operating system will not recoqnize the large file.

in any case, please start with letting us know what the os you are running and hwo you are trying to format the hard drive....

thanks

i'm runnning win98 and i'm tryna format my harddrive by ms-dos and this is my primary (internal) harddrive..
Thanks

DOS wont recognize a drive that large.

Can you boot up to win98 and see the drive in windows explorer?

if you can right click on that and choose format.

there are some conciderations you have to recognize. win98 has a limit of a hard drive partion to about 32 Gigs before you may run into problems.
Theoritcally a Fat32 partion could be around 2 terabytes...but the bios cant handle it.
The Bios itself on the mother board may not recognize a partition larger then a certain size.

you can try this: http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q263/0/44.asp

read through it it may help you.

and read this: http://peach.ease.lsoft.com/scripts/wa.exe?A2=ind0002C&L=win98-l&P=R7396

try those two links

The error "not enough memory" has nothing to do with the amount of ram you have installed.... you could have 2 gigs of memory and it will give you the same error.

Not enough memory error comes under the "generic" error notice that you will get...the not enough memory error will show up for many many many issues you find...
Kind of like the GPF (General Protection Fault) Erros you used to get....

Just dig through that stuff you may find the answer... if not keep asking... no one ever got in trouble for asking too many questions....

Well i gave you ideas as to why you cant format your hard drive.

The only other suggestion i have is to use FDISK enable large disk support and create 2 or 3 smaller partitions about 10 gigs each.. and try formationg it with win98 that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom