single core

Status
Not open for further replies.

tommycompton

Banned
here is the system i am planning on putting together.

AMD Athlon FX-57 2.8 ghz

ASUS A8N32-SLI DELUXE mobo

512-DDR400 512MB PC-3200 DDR-400 x2

WD 250GB (7200/8MB) SATA hd

PIONEER DVR-111D 16X DVD+/-R

CA17XCRUAL-NPS ASPIRE X-CRUISER 17" CASE SILVER

ANTEC 550W TRUEPOWER 2.0 PSU

APACER 15-IN-1 USB CARD READER

SUNONMAGLEV SUNON MAGLEV 80MM FAN 3 OR 4-PIN

i already have a grafics card, 2 more gigs of ram,and liquid cooled cpu heat sink that i plan to install.
i know the fx-57 is only single core, bu t i figure i can upgrade to a faster dual core when they come available. the fx 60 maybe alittle out of my price range right now, which runs at 2.6 ghz dual core. the only other option would be the amd 4800, but i think i prefer the fx series.
any input? what ya figure?

I would seriously recommend the X2 4800+

simply put:
when the FX-57 wins, it doesn't win by very much (single threading)
but when the X2 4800+ wins, it wins by a lot (multi threading)
plus the X2 4800+ is cheaper

and future proof, wait for a little bit, and then all games being made with be dual core compatible

even if i got the opteron 180 2.4 ghz equivelent to the 4800+, thats a 1000mhz drop in bus speed. why would i want to do that?

on a side note, if i bought a graphics card and i planned to overclock would i be better off getting say the 7900 gt which is not overclocked as opposed to the 7900 gtx which is?

i don't know what you are talking about? they have exactly the same bus speed. i know what you are thinking and if you hold on i can get a perfect explanation for you

edit:
Green Radience said:
1000Mhz HT and 2000Mhz HT are the same thing. They're both right because 1000Mhz is the actual HT Bus Speed, and 2000Mhz is the effective HT Bus Speed. Instructions can be sent on the rise of the clock cycle, as well as the fall of the clock cycle, so two instructions per clock cycle. 1,000,000,000 (1000Mhz) clock cycles per second x 2 instructions per clock cycle = 2,000,000,000 (2000Mhz) effective speed. There are two ways of writing it, and they're both right.

which is the newer chip set the 4800+ or the opteron 180?
opteron is unfammiliar territory for me.
wait aminute are you an amd salesperson?

he chips are basically identical. age doesn't have anything to do with it. you should be more concerned about the performance and in this case its basically identical but the opteron has physical advantages over the x2 4800+. it runs at a lower voltage and temperature. it overclocks better and tends to take more abuse than the standard athlon. no problem running one of these babies 24/7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom