Videocard, not enough power

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohGrFreak

ID.10T
My computer was a mess a while ago, the motherboard and CPU were fried I found out by a dead fly behind the board. I replaced the PSU first because I thought that was the problem to begin with. My stock PSU was a raidmax 420 watt that came with my case, the upgraded PSU is a 450 watt sunbeam with modular cables.

After all is said and done, I replaced the motherboard, cpu and PSU.

Now, all has gone fairly well except one day I booted up the computer and my monitor shown a random plaid pattern, so I did a hard shutdown and rebooted and all was fine again. Then a few days later Nvidia's program popped up a window that stated that there was not enough power to supply the video card and the card would be down clocked to conserve power.

My video card is a finnicky ASUS 6800 Gamer's edition which is a hybrid card, it's a plain jane 6800 but with the next step up's DDR3 memory. It takes two molex connectors to power.

Here is a link to my current PSU
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817709006

Under my current assumtion, the 450 watt sunbeam should have been of higher quality than the stock 420 raidmax (the raidmax powered the card fine for two years).

Either the new PSU is faulty, or just a POS, or my video card is on the fritz again and doesn't know what it's talking about.

Here is a more powerful PSU I have seen and I'm interested in:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817148002

Any suggestions on troubleshooting, or should I just let the videocard underclock until I can get a new PSU?

that sunbeam psu has 14A on the 12V rail... NOT ENOUGH...

i'm pretty sure its the powersupply. i'd stay away from aspire...

get at least 450watt with at least 25A on the 12V rail.. just to be on the safe side.

i agree 14A is defintly not enough , for that price the antec truepower 2 430w would be best

okay, i don't know much about PSUs so dual rails confuses me. but antec is a reputable company, and you guys reccomend it, so i'll try and get one next paycheck.

thanks for all the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom