what to do? A couple of questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zergdeath1

Solid State Member
Here is a link to my DXDIAG information.
DXDIAG INFORMATION

I have a computer of medium quality. It is a Compaq with a 2.2Ghz processor, and 1 gig of RAM, with 2 open slots, I'm pretty sure the Ram is 2700/3200. I have a Radeon Xpress 200 integrated Video card, and an ATI TV tuner card in one of my empty slots. I have a 250 Gig harddrive.

I am a gamer who would like to be able to play some of the new higher end games(fear, maybe oblivion) on my computer on approximatley medium quality if possible. I am also in Highschool(junior) and would like to have this computer stay with me at least part of the way through college.

I know that my computer has 4 card slots at the bottom, 1 of which looks differant from the rest (I can't describe how differant). I am assuming that 3 of these are PCI and 1 of them is AGP. Is there any way for me to tell? a program or something? My manual doesn't say.

I know that in order for me to play most games I am going to need a new video card. As the Radeon Xpress 200, while 256mb is not enough to support most games. I have approximatley 150$ to spend on a video card, I am wiling to spend 175-200$ if the video card is so much better that the money is not wasted. Does anyone have any recommendations as to what card to buy?

I was looking at Comp-USA and they had a card that uses PCI x-16, which I am assuming is differant than regular PCI. Is this better or worse, as stated above I dont know how to tell what slots I have.

Also I have read about Crossfiring video cards. I have heard that this only works if you have two identical cards that you can put a cable between, but I am not sure if this is correct. I have my old 128mb Radeon 9200(I think its 9200), and I was wondering if I could just kind of add that on to a new card? or maybe even put it on to the Radeon Xpress 200 and not have to buy a new one? I know it is a long shot but it's been bugging me.

Now then in respect to gaming, I plan on buying a 1 gig or 3200 RAM and putting it in, I am pretty sure that 2Gig will be enough to play most games adequitly(how do you spell that?). So I think I am ok in that department.

I know my processor is probably not fast enough to be considered good but I think that if I get everything else up to par, I should be ok.

Any other suggestions? I think I might be missing something important, so please tell me if I am. Thank you so much for your help.

Use CPU-Z to tell what 'slots' you have (in sig.)

I will make this clear from the start, video memory doesn't mean anything.

6800GS should fit in your budget.

It is PCIE btw. PCIX is a server based PCI slot. PCIE is different to PCI.

No. Read up on SLI and crossfire if you are interested, crossfire is two modern cards that don't have to be identicle. SLI has to have 2 (or more) identicle cards.

Anymore than 2gb's is a waste of money. Games are not using much over 1gb right now on high settings.

Is your processor AMD or Intel?

Please check that your PSU can support the new video card (open up the case and look at the PSU, it will have a sticker stating the wattage and Amps it can provide, make sure these are above what is stated for the video card and don't assume it will be fine.

Thank you for your help. I feel like an idiot but I am having trouble using Cpu-z to find what type of slots I have. I know I have at least two differant types.

CPU-Z --> Mainboard Tab --> Bottom of the page, Graphics Interface.

You might need to already have a videocard in there for it to work.

If you have an AGP just go for the 6800. And also you might want to get a new Power Supply to prevent overheating or melting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom